Pike Place Market Today! Whew!

legalwife

Love this place but today was horrible. Looked like only a Celebrity ship in port, but you could hardly walk. Heard many people trying to "escape" as in "get me out of here"! Can't imagine what tomorrow (Saturday) will be like...

BUT -- it was so worth it for the $5.00 beautiful bouquet of flowers I bought to take on the Golden tomorrow. Pre-planned and brought a plastic vase with me from home. Will not be able to take off the ship if I wanted to, which I won't after seven days, but sure will enjoy in the cabin and smell so nice. Be sure to check with your cruise line to see if it allows you to bring on board or not.

You should have seen the $15.00 size. Absolutely unbelievable for the money.

Oh! Did the hop on hop off bus tour which was okay, but if you want to do it free, be sure to ask about the local free bus transit within the city during the day. Very easy and we used this afternoon. And on a side note, daylight at 5:00 a.m. this morning for this east coast girl. Weird even though I knew it would be like that.

I work downtown and have noticed it MUCH busier than usual on the streets today.

There is a very large Lions Club International convention next week and I suspect a lot of them arrived early. They certainly can't ask for better weather.

BUT -- it was so worth it for the $5.00 beautiful bouquet of flowers I bought to take on the Golden tomorrow. Pre-planned and brought a plastic vase with me from home. Will not be able to take off the ship if I wanted to, which I won't after seven days, but sure will enjoy in the cabin and smell so nice.

Don't worry, they are beautiful now but you probably won't want them in 7 days. Market bouquets aren't always the longest lived. The last one I bought I got the day before the cruise, took care of it but it looked pretty sad after only a few days.

I love the Market, but I have to say, I go there a lot less often this time of year! We locals love y'all (and not just the $$$ you leave behind), but in such massively large numbers as we see you at the Market this time of year...maybe not quite as much. :p

My best advice to summer visitors is, GO EARLY! You can get a sit-down breakfast at the Athenian http://www.athenianinn.com/ from 6:30 am or at Lowell's http://www.eatatlowells.com/ from 7 am, or at any number of coffee shops and bakeries if you don't mind walking around with it. The vendors are all setting up then, which can be fun to watch, and most are open for business by 9 am. You can get in and out before the worst of the crowds descend in the middle of the day.

Also, don't miss the lower levels "Down Under" the Market, beneath the Pike Place street level. They aren't as crowded because a lot of visitors never find their way down there (I lived in Seattle for months before I ever did!) There aren't any food or flower vendors down there, but there are some fun shops, and a LOT of history (this is where a lot of the Market's ghosts hang out!)

We will be in Seattle for one day post-cruise and want to do Pike's Market. We can't decide if it would be best to take the Savor Seattle Food tour or just do it on our own. Any advice? Pros and cons?

the mkt is quite fun without a tour but many local including my foodie sister in law absolutely loved the food tour. You may get more out of it by taking a tour but it absolutely a delight to just wander the market. Everything is homemade or locally made which is totally unique to Seattle.

When we came before, it was August and we were there early in the morning. As someone else said, I would say do that.

Went to Sheraton to catch hop on hop off bus and encountered the Lions Convention. Hotel lobby was almost as bad as Pike's!

You definitely can see Pike's on your own and in four hours. You may not hear all the history and food stuff like the tour mentioned, but you have to decide.

Strolled downtown away from the action in the afternoon a bit and only time I felt a little uncomfortable. A few homeless people were getting too close and we turned around. We live near a big city so not new to us, but the rest of Seattle felt very safe during the day.

We plan on taxi-ing over to the ship about eleven. Like to be in the hub-bub and people watch.

Juno Restaurant downstairs is kind of expensive, but alot of things right downtown are more - just like at home. Bar in hotel (Doubletree Arctic) is nice and has half price bar food during happy hour. We had delicious cheeseburgers and fries last night. Had drinks and then brought food up to our room and ate outside on balcony. Nice sendoff for us and such lovely weather.

Off to the Golden! Must get organized.

Okay, we will plan to go early then, as soon as we can get off of the ship, our luggage brought to the Mayflower hotel, then back. They all look close, abut 4 to 6 min cab.

I have read that since the market can get overwhelming, having a guide is good. But others have said it is not necessary. We do like to know the history of things.

Just can't decide and once you pay online, it is non-refundable.

To locals - Is there a particular food tour there that you recommend? I thought of Savor Seattle because the reviews were good on Tripadvisor but those reviews aren't always by "real people".

To locals - Is there a particular food tour there that you recommend? I thought of Savor Seattle because the reviews were good on Tripadvisor but those reviews aren't always by "real people".

I haven't done one, but the new food critic for Seattle Weekly went on three of them recently, and gave her impressions--sounds like they all have their strengths and emphasis. http://www.seattleweekly.com/2011-06-08/food/seattle-s-top-three-food-tours/

Archived