First, not last, solo cruise booked!

copnlpn2

I've followed this thread with envy for some time...but no longer! I just booked my first solo cruise...sailing Dec. 4 on the Navigator of the Seas. I'm truly excited to finally have an opportunity to cruise by myself, after cruising so many times with family and friends.

I've always enjoyed the company, but I've wanted to have that opportunity to come and go as I please, sleep and eat when I want to and see what I want, when I want.

I've requested a table of at least 8 people, but not sure I'll even eat in the dining room, except for an occasional lunch or on formal nights (which I truly enjoy!).

Can any of you seasoned solo cruisers think of anything I might need to know about solo cruising, that I wouldn't have encountered on my previous cruises?

I think you'll be prepared. You've done quite a few cruises and nothing much is different in my opinion. The biggest thing for me on my first solo cruise was the sense of not knowing what to do next. I just didn't have plans because I could go and do whatever I wanted whenever, but after living a regimented life with work and responsibilities it was an odd feeling. I didn't plan much for my cruise because I wanted just be free to do whatever. So, I'd be at a loss for a moment and then just say "go do something, go for a walk, go shop, whatever.....or just read or look at the ocean. Just relax.". So think about some things you want to do and if you feel a bit lost, go to your list. I usually don't go to the dining room much either. I'm a very casual cruiser and I like that.

I think you'll be prepared. You've done quite a few cruises and nothing much is different in my opinion. The biggest thing for me on my first solo cruise was the sense of not knowing what to do next. I just didn't have plans because I could go and do whatever I wanted whenever, but after living a regimented life with work and responsibilities it was an odd feeling. I didn't plan much for my cruise because I wanted just be free to do whatever. So, I'd be at a loss for a moment and then just say "go do something, go for a walk, go shop, whatever.....or just read or look at the ocean. Just relax.". So think about some things you want to do and if you feel a bit lost, go to your list. I usually don't go to the dining room much either. I'm a very casual cruiser and I like that.

Almost like me. It was sostrange to be unregimented, had no one to check in with, just did or did not do whatever I wanted and when I wanted. I have reached a point I prefer solo. I wound up eating mostly in the buffet area, that was fine too, once I got used to it. On my first solo, I missed chatting at night in the cabin, but now, it's great. I sleep with a T.V. on at home, now I can do it cruising too. In all, I came home much more relaxed!

I've followed this thread with envy for some time...but no longer! I just booked my first solo cruise...sailing Dec. 4 on the Navigator of the Seas. I'm truly excited to finally have an opportunity to cruise by myself, after cruising so many times with family and friends.

I've always enjoyed the company, but I've wanted to have that opportunity to come and go as I please, sleep and eat when I want to and see what I want, when I want.

I've requested a table of at least 8 people, but not sure I'll even eat in the dining room, except for an occasional lunch or on formal nights (which I truly enjoy!).

Can any of you seasoned solo cruisers think of anything I might need to know about solo cruising, that I wouldn't have encountered on my previous cruises?

Do what you want to do. My last cruise was my 1st solo cruise & I just went with my desires for what I wanted to do. Had so much fun that I'm cruising solo again in October. I got lucky w/ the mdr assignment b/c my dinner mates were also solo travelers(Hope I'm that lucky again.). My only piece of advise is to go w/ your desires for what you want to do.

Thanks for all the comments! I'm not worried about what to do aboard the Navigator because she's sorta like my second home. I know many of the wait staff in the MDR, including the Maitre D so I'm sure my dining room experience will be fine.

As suggested, I'm preparing a mental list of what I want to see and do again or for the first time, since I'll be "alone." My Kindle will be put to good use while I spend time in the Solarium, a thing I rarely get to do much when I'm traveling with others who prefer the more active poolside atmospherre.

I'll keep you posted on my plans...

copnlpn2, Hope you have a great time on your solo trip on the Navigator, I did a TA solo on her a few years back and it was a great trip. Lots of reading time with all the sea days we had. Our MDR seating was another solo and two couples and we got along very well and ended up doing some activities together like the trivia and other things. Yes, it looks like you should know the Navigator very well. On the sea days on the TA I used to go to the front of the ship and park myself on one of the benches and just read and watch the waves slide by. Very relaxing and we had fairly calm seas the whole trip across the Atlantic. Have a great trip.

Travel and Nap! Your screen name almost says it all! Yes, I know the Navigator well enough to walk around her in my sleep. As every day draws closer to my first solo cruise, I think of almost as many thing I don't want to do as the ones I don't want to miss!

Thanks to everyone for the comments and "support"!

Archived