Paying for an upgrade

laktex

I booked early June for a September cruise - A4 Guarantee - and have been allocated an A2 - for which I am happy. Last night I noticed Cunard have dropped prices for P4 and Q7 guarantees which would have made an upgrade of just £700 for Princess and £ 1098 for Queens. (The A4 guarantee prices are the same!!) I phoned Cunard this morning and was informed I could not upgrade at these prices but had to go back to prices ruling at time of my booking which would be over £2000 for Princess Gill. Whilst I respect Cunard's policy I am a little surprised they dont wish to accept extra money for an upgrade.

I am sure it has something to do with yield management but if A4 is the same price now I do not quite understand - any experiences or thoughts?

The same situation happened to me on a short QM2 cruise. I booked well in advance for a P3 guarantee. Eventually Q5 guarantees were only a £100 more expensive than the price of my P3. Cunard would not let me buy an upgrade at that price. I cancelled and rebooked. Being a UK booking I lost my deposit. I was a bit cross but Cunard allocated me a Q4 which helped.

This trend to very heavy discounting of cruises and crossings is a real disincentive to book more than a couple of months in advance. Surely this is not good for Cunard in the long term. I was a loyal customer often booking the day the brochure came out. Now I intend to wait and see who has the best offers nearer departure. It may be Cunard, P&O, Celebrity or Fred Olsen.

Best wishes, Stephen.

I cancelled and rebooked.

We had a similar thing happen. The price for a Q3 dropped considerably so we decided to upgrade. It was far cheaper to cancel and rebook than an upgrade would have been.

We had a similar thing happen. The price for a Q3 dropped considerably so we decided to upgrade. It was far cheaper to cancel and rebook than an upgrade would have been.

I paid in full at time of booking - I think that is what grieves me a little.

It seems to be a game of "chicken" - who is to cave in first. Book early and get the best selection, or book late and get the best price.

I booked early because I wanted a particular voyage and a particular category. The complete voyage isn't even showing up now on the Cunard site, just segments. Had I waited the stateroom that I wanted would not have been available for the whole trip. Everyone has to weigh this decision themselves: pay eary to have your preferences locked in or pay later and compromise to get the best deal.

> It seems to be a game of "chicken" - who is to cave in first. Book early and get the best selection, or book late and get the best price.

You describe the situation perfectly.

On QE2 I booked early because sometimes there was only two cabins that I wanted. There was only two P singles and two larger Q2s. If the price dropped it was not usually a large amount and I had the cabin I wanted anyway. On the new ships one cabin is very like a hundred others (the exception being the most expensive Q cabins which are out my price range). The only time I have been that bothered on QM2 is when the obstructed balcony cabins were cheaper and there was a few only obstructed by a rescue boat.

> We had a similar thing happen. The price for a Q3 dropped considerably so we decided to upgrade. It was far cheaper to cancel and rebook than an upgrade would have been.

Glad I am not the only one to do this. At the time it felt quite odd. I even checked with Cunard that it was allowed.

> I paid in full at time of booking - I think that is what grieves me a little.

Ouch. That is painful.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Archived