Sea trek scuba

my recommendation is to try and get certified ahead of time rather than cramming his vacation in the pool and classroom while on board.

many local dive shops will offer the classroom portion only at a discount, and let you find a place to do the open water dives (say, when you are in Bermuda) but it takes some coordination. This may be a better option then trying to squeeze everything in while trying to relax and also let DH a little time to prepare before doing the open water certifications. Since Bermuda cruises tend to stay in port overnight, the ability to do this is better than say, Cozumel or Aruba where you are only there for a matter of hours.

Good program, but squeezed and takes time away from cruising. do a search of the Royal board for scuba certification and will find many others posts on this topic, many with the same philosophy.

If I'm not mistaken this course will get you the PADI Scuba Diver cert but not the Open Water Diver cert. From the PADI site a Scuba Diver can...

• Dive under the direct supervision of a PADI Divemaster, Assistant Instructor or Instructor to a maximum depth of 12 metres / 40 feet
  • Obtain air fills, rent or purchase scuba equipment and participate in other
    diving activities as long as they have the required supervision

It still won't allow him to dive alone with you unless you are a master or instructor.

My DH did this a few years ago. It's a pretty time consuming process. You have pool dives for a couple of days and then in every port he had to do a dive -- so I went on my own excursions and he did the diving. He loved it but really couldn't do much else for the trip. Unfortunately we don't dive often anymore so each time we have to do at least a refresher anyway.

This coming year, we want to teach our older daughter the basics of diving so we are looking at a "resort" dive certification through RCCL on our next cruise. Hopefully that is less intense with just 1 pool dive and then a shallow dive with the instructor at 1 port. That's plenty for her to get the flavor of whether she likes it or not.

I agree that if you can get a local dive shop to teach your hubby the basics, he will feel less pressured on your precious cruise to get it all done. That said, my DH thoroughly enjoyed the whole process, but it was hard and he was committed to finish it! Navigating by compass in the murky waters of St Maarten sounding a bit scarry to me but he came out with a smile. ;)

Katherine

Has anyone else done this program? We are cruising in October to Bermuda, my dad and I are open water divers my dh is not. Would this be a good way for him to become certified too?

I did this on the AOS a few years ago. There is an additional charge for the open water certification, but, it was not that much. I didn't think it took that much time out of the day for the coursework, and test. The test was pretty easy, but, you do have to at least skim through the book to pass.

There were 3 or 4 dives we had to do to show we could actuall do what was required to pass, but the sites they took us to were really great, so, it was kinda like we were on diving excursions anyway.

I would do it again.

Archived