Hissing Contest

Gypsy025

One problem is that lots of roll calls are monopolized by 2 or 3 posters and in some cases by one poster.. This also applies to roll calls on cruises that have been completed years earlier.

I agree with this accessment also.

Srpilo

The only ones who would be following old Roll Calls are the ones that want to follow it. The same goes for current Roll Calls and for that matter general forum topics. If you don't want to read it, don't subscribe, or unsubscribe.

The example I used about our current Roll Call is the best example - there really isn't anything going on that really concerns the cruise except some administrative things to do with a M&G. If those folks who don't care for chit chat don't want to participate they can unsubscribe, check in every week or so to see if anything is really happening that interests them and those that want to chit chat can do so without that person getting 5 emails a day. I guess when we get to the M&G we'll only be able to discuss cruise stuff :-)

A Roll Call can be whatever you want it to be and each person has the tools to tailor it to whatever they are comfortable with.

The only ones who would be following old Roll Calls are the ones that want to follow it. The same goes for current Roll Calls and for that matter general forum topics. If you don't want to read it, don't subscribe, or unsubscribe.

The example I used about our current Roll Call is the best example - there really isn't anything going on that really concerns the cruise except some administrative things to do with a M&G. If those folks who don't care for chit chat don't want to participate they can unsubscribe, check in every week or so to see if anything is really happening that interests them and those that want to chit chat can do so without that person getting 5 emails a day. I guess when we get to the M&G we'll only be able to discuss cruise stuff :-)

A Roll Call can be whatever you want it to be and each person has the tools to tailor it to whatever they are comfortable with.

I get no emails; never have. You just don't choose that option. When I log into CC, I just go to my UCP option and all active threads pop right up. Amazing how many really old ones pop up too and then you can just unsubscribe w/o any effort.

How about the roll call for our Jan.28th, 2011 cruise? People are STILL emailing each other about not only new cruises, but their weather, health, jobs, etc.! I suggested they get each other's email addresses and email direclty but was shot down for this suggestion!

I do not join a roll call unless I am going on that cruise. And for the most part other cruises are mentioned as a way of sharing information. Also they are a get to know you thing and not for advice on other cruises. That is what the general boards are for.

Ditto that.

i LOVE an ACTIVE CHATTY RC!! THE MORE THE MERRIER...i LOVE the RCs and talk about CRUISING, that CRUISE, just anything...its like a BIG GET TOGETHER and EVERYONE is getting to KNOW EACH OTHER!!!

so the answer to the OPs question would be ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!

OP, going to a roll call unless you're booked on that cruise might not be the best idea. If you want info about a particular cruise BEFORE booking, it's best to just go to the board of the cruise line you're interested in to get general information. Heck, I was once on a roll call that was 18 months out, and had over 3000 posts. Roll calls are not for gathering information pre-booking, but for those who are already booked on a cruise and want to touch bases before they depart.

I've always viewed the Roll Calls as more social than informative. If I want "nut and bolts" info I read the cruiseline specific forum. If I am looking to make friends on my sailing I read (and post) in the Roll Call thread.

Perhaps those that don't care for all the chit chat and bonding could start seperate Roll Calls and make it clear that they are intended to be purely informational.

I have a feeling they will be quiet Roll Calls though.

That's the problem. You are reading Roll Calls and these people are talking amongst themselves. They are already bonding, since they will be travelling together. For information, you shouldn't be in roll calls, but in the various sites designated for the specific areas of your interest.

I do not join a roll call unless I am going on that cruise. And for the most part other cruises are mentioned as a way of sharing information. Also they are a get to know you thing and not for advice on other cruises. That is what the general boards are for.

I agree that the roll calls are more than just finding others to do excursions with (in my case, I'm not looking for excursion partners). You get to know some fellow passengers-to-be ahead of time. Sometimes that means chit chat. I guess if this bothers one, you can just scroll down til you find a post you'll want to read. Since I don't subscribe to any threads (I guess I had made this my option when I first joined), I don't get any email notifications, which is fine. When I go to CC or other boards I belong to, I just do a quick look see by scrolling down pages of some areas such as Floataway, Western Destinations, Princess, depending on how much time I have.

One reason I may have for going on roll calls for cruises I'm not booked on is if we're booked on a later sailing...I can often find out info or can ask questions (someone about to go on a sailing may read my question and then report back after their cruise). I can easily find any thread I've posted on in a couple of different ways.

Archived