shoes for DH for dinner

I vote no. Men's sandals are recreational /athletic rather than resort-casual, and they're not appropriate for the dining room -- even on casual night. Since he plans to wear them with khakis, I'd suggest leather boat shoes. Still very comfortable and casual, but being completely closed they're more dining-room appropriate.

I only wear my leather sandals with my khakis for casual nights. As long as the pants cover the heel of the foot and the toes do not stick out badly, then they're fine. I call mine my "dress sandals". I think it's especially appropriate for a Caribbean cruise where brown leather sandals are the norm for locals in the ports you visit. I have a pair of leather flip flops that I consider more casual and don't wear those to dinner.

It's really a matter of style. There's no rule that says he cannot wear them, and if he's comfortable in them, then more power to him!

All that said. I'm of the thinking that if women can wear open toed shoes and sandals, then men can too. Double standards (of all kind) are just rediculous.

I vote no. Men's sandals are recreational /athletic rather than resort-casual, and they're not appropriate for the dining room -- even on casual night. Since he plans to wear them with khakis, I'd suggest leather boat shoes. Still very comfortable and casual, but being completely closed they're more dining-room appropriate.

Not all men's sandals are recreational or athletic. There are many dressier styles out there.

I don't see how an open shoe for men is inappropriate when it's perfectly fine for women. :confused:

Maybe that's an opinion based statement, but I think it's more of a double standard than anything else.

All that said. I'm of the thinking that if women can wear open toed shoes and sandals, then men can too. Double standards (of all kind) are just rediculous.

LES LES LES..........can you really compare a man's toes with a woman's? well..........with the majority of women's? ;)

that's like saying if a woman wears a sleeveless top to dinner, a man should be able to also.........<fainting>

LOL

but for the original question - my DH wore his Dockers on casual nights......they are just like slippers and were probably more comfortable than his sandals anyway..........:)

There is nothing recreational or athletic about my husband's sandals. They have smooth leather soles and a stacked wood heel like his other dress shoes.

Not all mens sandals are Tevas or Mandals as we like to call them :p

LES LES LES..........can you really compare a man's toes with a woman's? well..........with the majority of women's? ;)

that's like saying if a woman wears a sleeveless top to dinner, a man should be able to also.........<fainting>

LOL

Of course I get your point :D But there are some of us (even straight men lol) that take really good care of their feet!

Sleeveless shirts are another issue, but if there were nice sleeveless shirts for men, then yes we should be able to wear them. There just isn't anything nice in that style. But this would also depend on tanlines. :eek: I can just see a sea of "truckers arm" in the dining room. ACK!

Is he planning on wearing socks with the sandals? Opening a whole 'nother can of worms LOL.

Only if it's argyle socks with flip flops, and the socks have to be pulled up as high on the calf as possible, and must be worn with shorts (if you're gonna do it, REALLY do it lol)

Only if it's argyle socks with flip flops, and the socks have to be pulled up as high on the calf as possible, and must be worn with shorts (if you're gonna do it, REALLY do it lol)

Better yet, black socks! Yikes!

Of course I get your point :D But there are some of us (even straight men lol) that take really good care of their feet!

Sleeveless shirts are another issue, but if there were nice sleeveless shirts for men, then yes we should be able to wear them. There just isn't anything nice in that style. But this would also depend on tanlines. :eek: I can just see a sea of "truckers arm" in the dining room. ACK!

LOL.........now that's a vision.........:)

I figure if Zappos has a section for men's dress sandals, then it's got to be OK for him to wear them, as long as his feet are presentable.

http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/722000012.html

My hubby would never wear any of these, but hey, I'm OK with that as he's got Hobbit toes anyway. :D

my DH wouldn't wear any of them either.........only because I wouldn't buy him a pair of 329.00 sandals.......LOL.......but I agree, if you have nice toes, you should be allowed to wear those sandals wherever you want......:D

the Hobbit toes part was too cute..........:)

Babie -- Yes, the locals in most ports do live their lives in brown leather sandals; however, when we go into ports, they're working and going about their daily activities -- they're not dining in an upscale environment. I fail to see the comparison.

Fashion is full of double standards. Why do men wear jackets while women wear sleeveless dresses? Why do women get to wear all the great jewelry while most men content themselves with just a ring and a watch? Why is a man who has a few extra pounds and some gray hair still considered handsome, while a woman of the same description has "let herself go"? The list could go on. There's no such thing as equality in this particular discussion.

BlueHerons -- I'm aware that men's sandals are not all Teva style; my husband has some that are nice enough to wear to lunch or into port. However, I have never seen a pair that is genuinely dressy enough for the formal dining room.

Scarletine -- I'm also married to The Hobbit. Perhaps we'd better talk about this!

I still vote no for men in sandals in the formal dining room.

Archived