Santorini in early November?

cheffip

My ship visits Santorini on November 2. While I know the Greek islands are traditionally shutting down for the season by late October, do a variety of restaurants and shops stay open knowing that 2500 passengers will be visiting them a little later? Advice from anyone with experience in visiting Santorini at that time (or Capri for that matter which we will also be visiting) would be appreciated. Also wondering what the weather will be like at the very begninning of November?

We were in Santorini on Nov 27, 2009. We were the last ship of the season. All the shops and restaurants in Fira seemed to be open. I bought a beautiful ring and the shopkeeper said her jewelry store would be closing for the season when our ship left. The weather was perfect - shorts weather, but it wasn't uncomfortably hot.

We were in Santorini last November, everything was open and the weather was fantastic.

Due to some high winds the cable car was closed for an hour, we were almost at the front of the line so we could not get out. we had to just sit on the floor and wait.The tender boats were also stopped for about an hour. We sat in a little cafe waiting for the tender boats and had some fantastic food. Two of our friends walked down and said two showers later they could still smell the donkey crap from walking down the donkey trail. We are still laughing about that. It is a beautiful place with great picture opertunities

have a wonderful time, Sandra

It really depends on how the weather pattern will be prior weeks. So, it's impossible to predict.

If summer runs a long way late, bringing mild temperatures and dry weather well into November, like an Indian Summer, shops will be open. Some restaurants may not offer their mid-summer open air areas but you 'll have some places to eat - see the views. It's not impossible to have such a weather. Practically some yrs are like this , some are not.

Nevertheless, there is always the possibility of having strong winds or lower temepratures or some rain. Even if some of my best visits in Santorini were under / after heavy rain ( colors, volcano visibility and photo opportunities are just fantastic after a good rain wash ) i admit it's not the most practical thing to go through, nor the concept most people have in their mind.

My suggestion is to check weather conditions a little before leaving for your cruise, let's say some days before, in order to pack accordingly, meaning you may want to have some more solid shoes, a good jacket etc. Landscape is always there and sometimes at its best, nevertheless weather itself is something to take in consideration all the time and everywhere in the world.

Archived