Private Guide Dubrovik

My wife and I will be on the Celebrity Solstice in Mid November 2011. We would like to hire a private guide in Dubrovnik. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Shoebiz

My wife and I will be on the Celebrity Solstice in Mid November 2011. We would like to hire a private guide in Dubrovnik. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks, Shoebiz

Lots of great options for Dubrovnik. On this board, you can see a wide range of pictures and info for what we did there on June 16 while sailing on the Solstice. You can check out more below on our cruise, the ship, other key ports. This includes taking a taxi from the dock for the "panoramic tour" that included going to the top, overview. Below you can see two of the visuals I took from that point.

For a guide, you might contact Caroline at dubrovniklady@gmail.com. She grew up in the US and has lots of background from living there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 17,489 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 45,580 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

We started with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing the unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. He called this bridge their “Golden Gate” like in San Francisco. It is nine years old. Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

Here is the view of the Cable Car going down from the high point over Dubrovnik with areas and islands west of the city shown. This cable car has been re-built since the early 1990’s war years.:

4DubrCableCarWaterIslands.jpg

One guide that i definitely do NOT recommend is Pepo Klaic. I hunted the various boards and found him on Rick Steves boards. I contacted him in September and booked in October for our June cruise. He sent me a Christmas greeting and many contacts to be a Facebook connection, etc. When I reconfirmed with all of my private guides (8 in total), he did not answer my emails. Finally he responded and told me he lost my booking and took another job for a couple who was having a 35th anniversary. When I made my booking with him, I had told him that our day in Dubrovnik was my 50th birthday and I needed it to be perfect. He said in his final message "sorry, I took another job and can't help you." I was lucky enough to have Caroline (Dubrovniklady) help guide us for the time we were in her beautiful city. Thank you again for your kindness!

wwb

Terry,

Thank you for all the wonderful information you provided regarding your trip. Did you just hire the taxi driver at the dock? what did he charge? Would any taxi driver be just as good?

Regards,

Richard

Terry, Thank you for all the wonderful information you provided regarding your trip. Did you just hire the taxi driver at the dock? what did he charge? Would any taxi driver be just as good? Regards, Richard

Appreciate your nice comments and the follow-up question. They had posted signs there in the area where the cabs were lined up on the various different options, including just ten euro for only the trip to Pile Gate or 50 euro for the panoramic trip. When we got in the cab, he pitched for/suggested the panoramic trip, told us the details, we ask some added questions, he had good answers and we were off on our roughly one hour trip. It was a great and super highlight of our visit to Dubrovnik. He knew where to take us, telling us more about the area, answering various questions, having time up at the cable car location, etc.

In my view, not just "any driver" would work best. Talk to them, ask, inquire. Does this help? Added questions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 18,149 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 45,696 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Archived