Current water level good for cave tubing right now?

Splatt

We will be in Belize next week with a cave tubing excursion. Anyone been recently that can tell us about the current water level? If it was low, did it hinder your trip in anyway? We have some friends that went in March and told us that the low water level made it nearly impossible to float in certain areas. Just wondering about next week? Thanks for any input!!!:)

From what I understand, the wet season is September-November. Then from November-July the water level generally decreases.

The problem is, with a big rain they will close the caves to visitor. So while you might want to hope for a rain to get the water level up, you don't want it to rain too much.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

We tried cave tubing in Belize in the middle of April, and it sucked. (Very low water, and had to be dragged through the caves by our guide. ) I DO see where this could be a great thing to do, IF there is enough water to keep your butt off the bottom.:rolleyes:

I think it verys week to week, not really so much by the season. The weather in the caribbean can change in the matter of minutes. We have gone in April and it was really high...almost closed it cause it was so high. We have been in October when the water was so low our butts were bumping boulders. I dont think anyone can predict it accurately a week or 2 in advance. Just have to wait till you get into the port and they will let you know. I hear they rarely cancel and if they do its usually because its POURING rain or they just had a huge downpour. We went before when it was raining pretty good and they didnt close it. We have been 3 times now and have never been canceled on.

We just got home from our cruise today. We were in Belize on Wednesday (the 20th, I think) and the water level was fine. We actually didn't have any spots where we were told to do "butts up"! If you're going soon I can't imagine it would be much different.

Have fun!

Rain is predicted for the next 10 days.

Looks like the water level will be good.

We went in May and it was the most boring excursion I had ever taken. The water was so low we had to walk much of the time.

We literally just got off the boat (waiting for our flight in the airport, thank goodness for free wifi!!!), and our cave tubing wazs cancelled dur to high water levels. It had been raining heavily for a few days and the government had closed the park down, so even our independently booked trip was canceled. It wasn't raining the day we were there though, so the caves may be open again....I'd look into weather.

We booked a cave tubing trip (August 2nd) through Vitalino Reyes but due to high water the caves were closed. He and his crew took us to Altun Ha instead to seen the Mayan sites. turned out to be a great trip and all of us (including our teenage daughters) agreed that it was great and we didn't miss the cave tubing at all!

• 2 weeks later...

We went cave tubing Aug. 4. The water level was high-cave were closed the day before due to high water levels. It was perfect for us-no butts up, floating nicely all of the way. A few rapids as well. Maybe rain will slow down before your trip.

So if it happens to cancel...do they suggest others things for you to do instead? Or do they have other tours they'll do? Or are you forced to try to decide something else? I've heard that Belize is not exactly the port you want to wonder around in and I've also heard a few horror stories.

Archived