the dream on the adriatic

Think this is my idea of a perfect cruise, loved the dream but a bit fed up of the med ports now. Adore the adriatic ports of call but wonder if the problem would be the size of the ship and berthing in the adriatic although think costa dont have a problem there. wonder if they will ever do this.

Hi Shirley,

2 of Royal Caribbean's big ships are doing the Adriatic at present and apart from Split are docking at the other ports of call. So I don't think it's a matter of size.

One of them holds over 3000 passengers :eek:

Berwyn

hi berwyn so nice to hear from you and glad to know that your laptops in good working order. saw your princess review so glad you enjoyed it we loved our time on the dream, where you off to next?

hi berwyn so nice to hear from you and glad to know that your laptops in good working order. saw your princess review so glad you enjoyed it we loved our time on the dream, where you off to next?

A few days in a log cabin in Shropshire in September. Self catering. Not quite the same. BUT it's got an outdoor private hot tub.

Berwyn

This does sound ideal. I also love the Dream now, but want to do the itinaries on the Spirit.

We would do the Adriatic Itinerary again but wouldn't want to go on the Destiny for 2012 so have opted for the Med on the Celebration; maybe the Dream will head to the Adriatic one day......

Think this is my idea of a perfect cruise, loved the dream but a bit fed up of the med ports now. Adore the adriatic ports of call but wonder if the problem would be the size of the ship and berthing in the adriatic although think costa dont have a problem there. wonder if they will ever do this.

Glad you had a good time and liked the Dream.

Sounds as if the Dream and the Adriatic itinerary would be a great combination.

We would do the Adriatic Itinerary again but wouldn't want to go on the Destiny for 2012 so have opted for the Med on the Celebration; maybe the Dream will head to the Adriatic one day......

Jules,interesting comment that you wouldn`t want to go on the Destiny in 2012,why?

We are looking at the Destiny(never cruised on her) for the Adriatic Explorer intinerary(venice sail in and out worth it alone),its between that and the Moorish Delights Intinerary on the Dream(again)

Jules,interesting comment that you wouldn`t want to go on the Destiny in 2012,why?

We are looking at the Destiny(never cruised on her) for the Adriatic Explorer intinerary(venice sail in and out worth it alone),its between that and the Moorish Delights Intinerary on the Dream(again)

Hi Jim the reason we wouldn't do the Destiny is purely personal - we've only been on the Spirit & Celebration with Thomson; my parents have been on the Celebration and then the Destiny. They enjoyed the Destiny but wouldn't go back on her; they did say the cabins, storage space & particularly the bathrooms were much smaller and it is getting very "tired" now. With 4 of us in a cabin (2 adults & 2 teens), the Celebration & Spirit have good sized 4 berth cabins so we wouldn't want to go smaller, we also don't like the idea of set times for meals - we always go to the main restaurant in the evening and like the flexibility of going in when we want!!

From a service, staff and entertainment point of view, they did say the Destiny was as good as the Celebration but they weren't as keen on the Lido restaurant.

If the Spirit, Dream or Celebation were doing the Adriatic Itinerary next year, we would've jumped at it - it was such an amazing itinerary and beautiful destinations and obviously much shorter flights from the UK to Corfu (as opposed to us flying to Marmaris!)

Hi Jim the reason we wouldn't do the Destiny is purely personal - we've only been on the Spirit & Celebration with Thomson; my parents have been on the Celebration and then the Destiny. They enjoyed the Destiny but wouldn't go back on her; they did say the cabins, storage space & particularly the bathrooms were much smaller and it is getting very "tired" now. With 4 of us in a cabin (2 adults & 2 teens), the Celebration & Spirit have good sized 4 berth cabins so we wouldn't want to go smaller, we also don't like the idea of set times for meals - we always go to the main restaurant in the evening and like the flexibility of going in when we want!!

From a service, staff and entertainment point of view, they did say the Destiny was as good as the Celebration but they weren't as keen on the Lido restaurant.

If the Spirit, Dream or Celebation were doing the Adriatic Itinerary next year, we would've jumped at it - it was such an amazing itinerary and beautiful destinations and obviously much shorter flights from the UK to Corfu (as opposed to us flying to Marmaris!)

Hi Jules - I would agree completely with your parents' summary of the Destiny as compared with the other Thomson ships. We felt the cabin was 'tight' just for the two of us and had a more 'utility' feel to it. Certainly the Lido isn't the same kind of thing as the self-service on the other ships. We had a great time on her though - but I thought she was better suited to the Caribbean than the trip on the Med which we've done too. The 'open-backed' Lido was lovely in the very warm, balmy Caribbean but very cold and draughty in the Med. We also prefer open dining. But it's true the service etc, atmosphere especially in the dining room with the waiters' 'showtime' is excellent.

We wouldn't rule out travelling on Destiny again - for the right itinerary and a great price, but I must admit she's my least favourite of the fleet but think your reasons not to choose Destiny are very valid.

It will be very interesting to see how it shakes out for Thomson putting the Destiny in the Adriatic though. I get the feeling that prices on the Destiny are generally rather lower than the other ships and that prices for the Adriatic are generally higher - at least even at very close to departure the prices hold up better than the other itineraries. So, does this mean Destiny is the least popular of their ships? (Not making a judgement here, just posing the question.) And the Adriatic the most popular itinerary? Maybe they are hoping the draw of the Adriatic will overcome some customers' reservations about the Destiny. Will be interesting to see how the fares next year compare with this year's!

But as others have said, the Dream in the Adriatic would be the 'Dream Team'! :) Now the prices for that would be as high as any we've seen for Thomson I reckon! :(

yes think you are right but what a perfect combination wouldnt mind paying a bit extra for this the adriatic can be a bit more lively than the med weatherwise and i felt that the dream felt steadier than the spirit on the sea. really dont fancy the destiny on this itinery as it can also be a bit breezy so the open air lido restaurant wouldnt always be a good option

The dream might have a problem with some of the Adriatic ports as she apparently still does not have a stern thruster which means she is more difficult to dock and may need tug assistance. Last year they had Mahon on the itinery but kept cancelling because the approach is twisty and the tug available was not powerful enough. I imagine Kotor would be impossible as it is a twisty channel and finally the ship has to do a 180 degree pivot in her own length to point toward the sea.

The dream might have a problem with some of the Adriatic ports as she apparently still does not have a stern thruster which means she is more difficult to dock and may need tug assistance. Last year they had Mahon on the itinery but kept cancelling because the approach is twisty and the tug available was not powerful enough. I imagine Kotor would be impossible as it is a twisty channel and finally the ship has to do a 180 degree pivot in her own length to point toward the sea.

Kotor isn't on the itinerary next year either on the Destiny. Great pity as it's a super port of call!

Thanks Jules.Never been on the Destiny but many comment about the small cabins which may put us off,kinda spoilt after being on the Dream

I think thomson only use the spirit or destiny when they sail out of corfu, with those two ship being run by louis line, i remember the celebration lost a fair few crew when it did the adriatic, due to having to employ more greek staff, maybe the dream would have a similar problem

I think thomson only use the spirit or destiny when they sail out of corfu, with those two ship being run by louis line, i remember the celebration lost a fair few crew when it did the adriatic, due to having to employ more greek staff, maybe the dream would have a similar problem

Good point mtt - we were on when the Filipino staff were being sent home and replaced by some less than efficient Greek crew. Some were ok but the one in the showlounge who could only manage one drink order at a time and then forgot who it was for spoke volumes! It was quite distressing for the regular crew - and passengers were very upset on their behalf too. I guess Thomson would wish to avoid a repeat of that fiasco!

Archived