Alcohol question

RICKnVICK

I have been doing some researching and am a little confused concerning where you can and cannot have alcohol. We are going next year and are planning on spending the day at Horseshoe Bay Beach. From what I have read, it is okay to have alcohol as long as you don't get rowdy and such. This is no problem, however i read that as soon as you walk on the beach with alcohol this is illegal. Just appreciate any info on this from anyone who has been to Bermuda before. This will be our first time going. Thanks!

Vicki

It is illegal in Bermuda to openly consume alcohol in public (i.e. the label on the bottle, can, etc. showing), however, at places like Horseshoe Bay, where alcohol is sold at the concession, they don't really bother with enforcing the law as long as you stay out of trouble. The police have bigger things to worry about than a tourist quietly enjoying a bottle of beer while sitting at the beach ;).

You probably wouldn't have any problems on any other beaches where alcohol isn't sold either, to be honest. Long as you can't see the label on whatever alcoholic beverage you are consuming and you stay out of trouble, you'll be okay.

We sat on the beach at Tobacco and drank the Prosecco they sold at the concession. I had no idea it could be considered illegal consumption, never even thought about it. We had rum swizzles with our lunch on the terrace at Horseshoe. We were done with beach sitting for the day, so we didn't wonder if it would be OK to take the drinks to the beach.

I have never seen anyone drunk and rowdy on a Bermuda beach. Don't recall seeing coolers of beer, either, but I doubt a discrete bottle of beer would be a problem. Sounds like one of those cooler sleeves to cover a beer label might come in handy.

Archived