SPA Services

jordans mom

Getting ready to go on my first Hawaiian cruise on POA. I have been on many cruises and this will be my 5th NCL. But I want to vent so excuse me.

I really enjoy being able to have access to a go to a spa on board. HOWEVER, <and here it comes>

I will probably not do it anymore because I get stressed out over the hard sell they give you when they sell product to you.

I wish that they would ask you if you are even INTERESTED in buying product when they ask you to fill out their little info sheets - then I can relax and they know its a straight up massage or whatever service I came in for and not be hassled with 10 minutes of product selling.

Just Saying:p

There I said it and I meant it. :rolleyes:

So will not use on board spas anymore and simply continue to get my spa time here on land locally where I get no hard sell.

:D

Hi...yes I do know what you mean and have experienced the high pressure sales of products from them... to the point I felt I was not benefiting from or enjoying the spa experience ( specifically not getting a relaxed ,stress free environment...the whole reason I go to the spa)

So the last few cruises I've gone on , I started my spa treatment by filling in on the information sheet they gave me ( the one where they ask you your specific problems and then try to sell you products for those problems) "Sorry but I am NOT interested in purchasing any products from the spa.....I am here only for a massage treatment and will appreciate your support "

It worked tremendously.......one of the girls responded by telling me she understood but that it was their policy to make the recommendation of products but of course there would be no pressure and that it was my choice......after the massage and she started to do her sales pitch I simply smiled and reminded her I had chosen not to purchase anything this time....and I then passed her, her tip. End of treatment. She seemed fine....who'se not going to be happy ( or at least polite ) when you've just passed them a good tip ?

So I think the best way to handle it is , now that we know this is their normal accepted practice, is just to be up front with them at the start of the treatment....I think they actually are caught off guard with this....... And in doing it this way, I definitely enjoyed my last 2 ship spa visits better than my previous ones.

Hi...yes I do know what you mean and have experienced the high pressure sales of products from them... to the point I felt I was not benefiting from or enjoying the spa experience ( specifically not getting a relaxed ,stress free environment...the whole reason I go to the spa)

So the last few cruises I've gone on , I started my spa treatment by filling in on the information sheet they gave me ( the one where they ask you your specific problems and then try to sell you products for those problems) "Sorry but I am NOT interested in purchasing any products from the spa.....I am here only for a massage treatment and will appreciate your support "

It worked tremendously.......one of the girls responded by telling me she understood but that it was their policy to make the recommendation of products but of course there would be no pressure and that it was my choice......after the massage and she started to do her sales pitch I simply smiled and reminded her I had chosen not to purchase anything this time....and I then passed her, her tip. End of treatment. She seemed fine....who'se not going to be happy ( or at least polite ) when you've just passed them a good tip ?

So I think the best way to handle it is , now that we know this is their normal accepted practice, is just to be up front with them at the start of the treatment....I think they actually are caught off guard with this....... And in doing it this way, I definitely enjoyed my last 2 ship spa visits better than my previous ones.

sounds like it did work well for you.....:D

I just fantasize about going in, getting my massage, and leaving in a state of bliss.......:rolleyes:

I just want a massage, get good service, give a great tip and get out of there with a dopey smile on my face.....is that too much to ask when we spend so much $$$ to get on the ship and then fork over for the spa service?

:cool:

A stern but polite 'No' always seems to work fine for me. You have to understand most of the sales pitch is to make you feel guilty for saying no. If you understand the game, saying no is much easier.

Why is it necessary? How about they clear your intentions when you sign up and let you relax....sigh:mad:

Well I learned the hard way that it does not pay to be "polite". I had some major miscommunication with a product "sample" one time. I swear in her heavily accented voice that it was a small sample of the product she was using. The "sample" cost $55 and did not show on my sail and sign until the last evening.

Now I just pretend they are one of the kids at the ball park that don't know how to act and tune them out completely. Better yet, take an ipod and just listen to your tunes. ;)

Why is it necessary? How about they clear your intentions when you sign up and let you relax....sigh:mad:

If I had a pet peeve, this would be it. The last thing I need is to be "analyzed" by a non-medical technician who insist that I "need" stuff that I would never actually use once I got home unless the technician came with it. I tell them up front that I do not intend to purchase any potions (still got plenty collecting dust from previous cruises); just put on the hot rocks and beat me like a old rug so I can be on my way.

If I had a pet peeve, this would be it. The last thing I need is to be "analyzed" by a non-medical technician who insist that I "need" stuff that I would never actually use once I got home unless the technician came with it. I tell them up front that I do not intend to purchase any potions (still got plenty collecting dust from previous cruises); just put on the hot rocks and beat me like a old rug so I can be on my way.

Tanless - I am with you on that "analysis"..... NCL lawyers should be watching this more carefully - -its only a matter of when, not if, someone gets their hair up over something going wrong...

Archived