Miami flight time- too early?

There is one direct flight from Miami on debarkation day for me, which happens to be Christmas eve. It is at 11:15. Ordinarily, I wouldn't book a flight that early, but since it is Christmas eve I like the idea of a direct flight and making it home earlier. I've not experienced debarkation on NCL, so wondering what you guys think.

With NCL, you can carry your own bags off and be one of the first ones off the boat. That being said, you are suppose to wait until they call for you to disembark, however people appeared to jump the gun. We could not get an elevator so we had to carry our bags down five flights of steps. Once we reached the gang way it was easy sailing. Make sure you fill out your customs declaration in advance, even if you don't have anything to declare. We were off the ship and through customs by 8:25.

11:15 will be great. When we got off the Epic, from the time we left our cabin,to the time we arrived at our gate, it took 1 hour 5 minutes. That includes everything:customs,ride to the airport,security,etc. I dont remember the exact time we left, but we did self debarkation and left before everyone else.

One other thing to consider is the day that you are flying: Christmas Eve. There are more people flying that day than normal so longer lines at check in and through the security screening. They will also probably be doing a more throrough security check due to the holiday.

What if you miss that flight for any number of reasons? With the crowded travel day, will there be spots on later flights for you to get on if you miss your flight? (probably not). By taking a chance and flying early on that day, you could find yourself enjoying Christmas day in the airport.

One other thing to consider is the day that you are flying: Christmas Eve. There are more people flying that day than normal so longer lines at check in and through the security screening. They will also probably be doing a more throrough security check due to the holiday.....

Actually, since Christmas Eve falls on a Saturday this year, I think a lot of people will travel Friday evening (the 23rd). Of course, any holiday will see more than normal travel loads, though.

If you're flying American Airlines out of Miami, that terminal has just had a complete rebuild, and there are now several security screening entrances, as opposed to the one they had for so many years while the rebuild was going on. Getting through security at AA in Miami is now a much less stressful event.

Overall, holiday or no, I'd say 11:15 is an ideal flight time, and you should be able to do it with ease.

Dagvbsb- valid point and thanks for weighing in. The holiday is a part of the consideration for me. The other side of the coin is that if I dont do this flight, I would have to do a later one, with a stop. The stop means Id be in later, have more chance for something to go wrong (missed connection), etc.

Videotech- good to know because I am flying AA.

thanks again everyone.

Archived