Need advice on "Free Air"

katz

You're right, Jim-Stan, of course. The deduction keeps changing (generally these days downwards!) but the breakdown above does give newbies an idea of how to calculate these things.

We took the air credit for our August Alaska cruise and booked biz class (at least for me, hubby gets to sit in the back of the plane). For us this was a bit more complicated because DH will come home to NYC when we leave the ship and I will go down to LA to visit my family. So we had different reservation needs.

We haven't decided what to do yet for the April Riviera B2B (which probably will end up only being one leg of the cruise anyway due to DH's intransigence). But most likely we'll decline the "free" hotel at the departure port and book our own for much less - whether or not we use their air.

The odds are that we will NOT use their air if only because of the exorbitant surcharges for biz air. Their coach prices usually seem pretty good these days as compared to what you can do on your own. But their biz/first fares are outrageous. (My age and physical condition -- although I don't have mobility problems -- have made me really need to fly biz air for long flights.) Maybe O should think about having more reasonable surcharges for biz air!

We now have lots of miles we could use for a European biz air flight (from NYC) but somehow the airlines make it difficult to utilize them.

And if anyone knows a woman who'd like to share a PH cabin on Riviera on the first or second leg of Riviera's debut, please let me know! All my friends who might like to join me for the first or second leg are having $$ problems these days!

Mura

We now have lots of miles we could use for a European biz air flight (from NYC) but somehow the airlines make it difficult to utilize them.

Mura

Mura,

as you probably already know this - the early bird gets the worm (or the award ticket, as the case may be). Technically, you are already late for your April premium class award ticket as those were bookable in May.

Don't blame the airlines :D

Round trip

ask your TA to check what flights Oceania will give for the dates you are looking at travelling

Look at the flights going the same time frame ..I like to use http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

to find out what is available

If you like the flight time O offers then go for them if not get your TA to submit the ones you would prefer (I hate early morning flights) ;)

then see if they can get them with or without an upcharge

I think you have 48 hrs to decide

Recommend flying in at least 1 day early more if you have the time

Lyn

Thanks Lyn. This site is really useful.

Don't worry, Paul. I'm not.

I have pretty much given up ... that isn't their fault necessarily!

I know there are booking techniques ... I just haven't figured out what they are!

So far I'm good at buying a ticket and getting miles as a result. One of these days I'll succeed in booking an FF trip.

Actually, I did manage to book a FF trip on United going from SF to LAX when we leave Regatta on August 26th. I paid $2.50 for first class plus some number of miles ... And I did book that flight in March.

(I can't book my flights to Barcelona or Athens until I know just which leg of the cruise we're really taking ... that's not the airlines fault either.)

Mura

Don't worry, Paul. I'm not.

I have pretty much given up ... that isn't their fault necessarily!

I know there are booking techniques ... I just haven't figured out what they are!

So far I'm good at buying a ticket and getting miles as a result. One of these days I'll succeed in booking an FF trip.

Actually, I did manage to book a FF trip on United going from SF to LAX when we leave Regatta on August 26th. I paid $2.50 for first class plus some number of miles ... And I did book that flight in March.

(I can't book my flights to Barcelona or Athens until I know just which leg of the cruise we're really taking ... that's not the airlines fault either.)

Mura

Mura-

When you've sorted out your issues, why not buy a transatlantic economy seat that is upgradeable, and then use your miles to make it a business class ticket?

You'll find scads more availability that way.

I still have to figure out how to do that efficiently. MY BAD. I'm always afraid that I'll get the cheapo ticket and then not be able to upgrade ...

Someone needs to lead me through the steps!

(Not you, of course!)

One of these days I'll manage ... most of my flying these days has been domestic and I just pay the full freight ...

But that cannot continue!

M

I still have to figure out how to do that efficiently. MY BAD. I'm always afraid that I'll get the cheapo ticket and then not be able to upgrade ...

(Not you, of course!)

One of these days I'll manage ... most of my flying these days has been domestic and I just pay the full freight ...

M

If you need another hobby/addiction or have too much time on your hand - try FT (FlyerTalk).

That site is as good and useful for "flying" as CC is for cruising. I learned a LOT on that site :)

(Not you, of course!)

M

Mura-

No figuring involved at all. I mean zero percent work.

You simply telephone the frequent flier desk at the Airiline that you wish to patronize.

You give them your travel dates, and tell them what you are trying to do.

They will tell you which flights have "upgradeable" tickets which are still available. Nothing could be simpler. I even let Stan do it, sometmes :p

**Note** you may also purchase your airline ticket through a consolidator, but in that case, when you call the Frequent Flier desk,confirm the CLASS of ticket that you will need, in order to accomplish the upgrade.

After you purchase the appropriate ticket, call the Airline a second time and apply your miles.

On a good morning, after the coffee has kicked in, I can usually get it done in twenty minutes.

No figuring involved at all. I mean zero percent work.

They will tell you which flights have "upgradeable" tickets which are still available. Nothing could be simpler. I even let Stan do it, sometmes :p

After you purchase the appropriate ticket, call the Airline a second time and apply your miles.

Nothing beats those CC promotions - truly free miles!

We just got 150,000 AA miles simply for opening 2 credit cards with Citi. If you do it for each spouse - you get 300,000 miles; add to that a business Visa for another 75,000 miles each. Are you keeping the total? :D

The spending required is "minimal" ($1,500 for each card in 6 months). Heck that doesn't even cover one cruise fare and you are flying in business for FREE several times (and I mean FREE , except a few $ for tax) :D

By free I mean that this is money you will spend anyway (for a cruise, for example).

That's just the Citibank; then you have Chase's 100,000 BA miles, 50,000 CO and UA miles,, etc, etc,etc - take your choice.

How do you think I became a life time Platinum on AA (2 million miles) - not by flying :rolleyes:

Now, that's what I call a good deal!

Paul, every time you post that you remind me of what a barren wasteland of points promotions Canada is - I had to grovel for a mere 10,000 points to renew the SPG Amex recently or I could get a new Aerogold card and get a whopping 15,000 Aeroplan points. Geez! :rolleyes:

Nothing beats those CC promotions - truly free miles!

We just got 150,000 AA miles simply for opening 2 credit cards with Citi. If you do it for each spouse - you get 300,000 miles; add to that a business Visa for another 75,000 miles each. Are you keeping the total? :D

The spending required is "minimal" ($1,500 for each card in 6 months). Heck that doesn't even cover one cruise fare and you are flying in business for FREE several times (and I mean FREE , except a few $ for tax) :D

By free I mean that this is money you will spend anyway (for a cruise, for example).

That's just the Citibank; then you have Chase's 100,000 BA miles, 50,000 CO and UA miles,, etc, etc,etc - take your choice.

How do you think I became a life time Platinum on AA (2 million miles) - not by flying :rolleyes:

Now, that's what I call a good deal!

Paul, every time you post that you remind me of what a barren wasteland of points promotions Canada is - I had to grovel for a mere 10,000 points to renew the SPG Amex recently or I could get a new Aerogold card and get a whopping 15,000 Aeroplan points. Geez! :rolleyes:

I know what you mean - I have a lot of family living in Toronto/Edmonton, so I hear that a lot.

I guess that is what the buying/spending power of 300 million people vs 32 million will do.

The free air was acually $800 per person but this was better than anything we could find. We went from Toronto to Stockholm and home from Copenhagen. We were charged $100 person in total to go a day early and stay a day late.

Flights were excellent and we got our travel agent to get us a window and aisle seat. Everything worked great and would do this again.

Archived