A different drink package question, I swear

2SeaWithMe

I asked this inside another thread, but I think it got lost.

As far as drink packages go, is it better to purchase them on board so the person who sells them to you gets the gratuity? Or does it not work that way?

I asked this inside another thread, but I think it got lost.

As far as drink packages go, is it better to purchase them on board so the person who sells them to you gets the gratuity? Or does it not work that way?

Nope... it does NOT work that way. Without a drink package, each drink purchased is entered into the system, and a ticket is generated which records your folio number, and the drink server's ID and a 15% gratuity. WITH a drink package, there is no ticket, but this info is still recorded, and your pre-paid grats will go to the many servers taking care of you throughout your cruise.

Nope... it does NOT work that way. Without a drink package, each drink purchased is entered into the system, and a ticket is generated which records your folio number, and the drink server's ID and a 15% gratuity. WITH a drink package, there is no ticket, but this info is still recorded, and your pre-paid grats will go to the many servers taking care of you throughout your cruise.

I was told the gratuities are pooled. They scan your card for inventory purposes.

I asked the same question on our B2B on Eclipse, and the answer was that the 'package' tips are pooled. At the end of our 4 day leg we tipped our server a little cash, which was hers. We were very well looked after on the second leg!

Richard

Thanks for the answers. I had read somewhere before about a conversation with a server that had signed up a fair portion of CC'ers on a roll call departure party, and there was a basically a mention that he got credit for signing up people.

The server might get "credit" but it probably wasn't in the form of money more like the "credit" workers get when they get a good comment on the cards we fill out. I thanked our steward one time for something extra he had done and he nicely said "you're welcome" and then shyly added that it would help if I added it to my comment card since good remarks helped in getting choice days off, etc.

But to you main question - I think there are two ways of thinking about pre-purchases - beverage packages, speciality dinners, excursions, etc.

Some cruisers like to pay for as much as possible before the cruise so they start at $0. While others, especially if they have a large OBC, like to wait to buy everything onboard. Its all a matter of personal preference.

Archived