Problem with Cruise!

sailingnut

I am supposed to go on a cruise on 11-13-11 on the Gem from NYC. I was supposed to go with two other people. Now one is not going, do not know what to do, stay in that cabin and split it between the two of us which is going to be high, try to find another person or:p try to go down to another less expensive cabin. Did anyone ever face this probelm?:p

Wish that were my problem!!!

Only you can really answer that -- but any of those three solutions would work... can you find a third party that you both get along with??? Can you afford for just the two of you to go??? If you don't mind, change to a lower category cabin....

It also depends what kind of deposit each of you placed on the cabin. In addition, does the person who can no longer go, expect their deposit back? I would think under the circumstances the person that dropped out would not want to put all the financial burden on the other two. Honestly, I would feel bad putting my friends in a last minute financial burden. :)

Sorry about your situation. Yes, this happen to me several years ago. Four of us guys booked a quad cabin. One got into a relationship, decided not to go, called the TA and cancelled without telling any of us. I found out from the TA just before final payment was due. We weren't too happy with that person. I will never travel with him again. We had to divide the cabin fare 3 ways instead of 4. Unfortunately, if it before final payment your choice is to either find a replacement, cancel, downgrade to a cheaper cabin or accept the fare increase. After final payment you make it very clear to everyone that the cruise is NON refundable for whatever reason and they should buy trip insurance if they have to cancel for medical, etc.; otherwise, you either go or lose your entire cruise fare. Anyway...the moral to the story....the three of us had a blast, the 4th person who cancelled broke off that relationship and now wishes he had went.

Assuming this is not a suite, the cost variance to other levels is not that much.

In any event, I would thank that person for giving you and the remaining person more space. Go on the cruise and enjoy.

You an of course cancel and not go.

As to the deposit. Not sure who paid it, but if #3 is not going, not sure if I would hold him responsible. After all, at this point, all deposits are totally refundable.

By the way, I expected this to a slam of NCL based on the title - pleasant surprise.

Go on judge judy and get her to order them to pay their third!

Okay not very helpful I know. I thought in America you could cancel at any time and get your money back?

What has NCL said?

Have you asked NCL or your TA what your options are?

It may or may not be that much of a difference in cost, depending on what kind of cabin you are in, etc. In other words, if you can change the reservation to two people instead of three, how much difference will it be?

Okay not very helpful I know. I thought in America you could cancel at any time and get your money back?

What has NCL said?

For certain full suites, there are non-refundable deposits.

In general though, cruises for us in the US are fully refundable through the cruise line up until final payment date. After that, "tiered" penalties kick in. The closer to the cruise date, the higher the percentage of penalty until it's 100%.

beachchick

What has NCL said?

If this is before final payment.. NCL doesn't really have much to say. How the bill is paid is not something they care about, as long as it is paid.

As far as always getting your money back in America... not even close. Many deposits on many things are non-refundable. Many tourist hotels and tourist locations will not refund once paid, period.

My brother in law has a cabin in Tennessee on a rental program with a major company in that area. If you rent a cabin from the rental company, you must put down a deposit within 10 days. If you have to cancel for any reason, you deposit is non refundable. (although it can be applied to another cabin within one year of your original date.). Just one example.

Just did some price checking on your cruise:

3 people in a Mid ship mini suite is: $2478 or: $826 per person

2 people in a mid ship mini suite is: $2038 or $1019 per person

3 people in a mid ship balcony is $2298 or $766 per person

2 people in a mid ship balcony is $1858 or $929 per person

3 people in mid ship Ocean view is $1958 or $653 per person

2 people in mid ship Ocean view is $1518 or $759 per person

Just under $200 difference for each of the remaining two people if they were to keep the same cabin.

Now, unless they are originally in a higher end suite, the cost to me appears negligble so I would keep my old room and just split it two ways. It is the room you choose to begin with....so you must have liked it at some time.

Yes, sometimes the best laid plans. :(

Unfortunately, the only one who can make the decision is you and your cabinmate. If you keep your cabin selection, financially, does it still fit in your budget? :) That's not for us to decide.

You'll have to call NCL (or your TA) and cancel the 3rd person off the cabin.

If DAGVBSB estimates are correct, then the extra price might not be that much. :)

Archived