Private excursions Santorini

stubbornoldowl

Hope to arrange a private excursion for a stop in Santorini from Nieuw Amsterdam in October.

Would appreciate any information about private operators that anyone has used and would recommend or not recommend. I have seen mention of a few but not much in the way of reviews. Thanks in advance.

We used Pelican travel for the 5 hour private minivan tour for our trip (June 18 to July 2 Norwegian Jade). I was completely and thoroughly satisfied with our tour and we managed to get around to many areas of the island, and see things I am sure that other travelers don't get the chance to see. Right before we went back to the ship, we were driven to the Ammoudi port and we had some appetizers with the sun soon to set. It was a perfect ending for a wonderful day. I think the tour is listed under mysantorini or something.

wwb

• 2 weeks later...

The 5 hour tour cost 200 euro for our family of 4. Everything we did was custom. if we wanted more time anywhere, it was up to us. If we decided to skip something, that was OK. Our final stop was for mezes at the port of Ammoudi before sunset. Gorgeous!!

wwb

The 5 hour tour cost 200 euro for our family of 4. Everything we did was custom. if we wanted more time anywhere, it was up to us. If we decided to skip something, that was OK. Our final stop was for mezes at the port of Ammoudi before sunset. Gorgeous!!

wwb

Thanks WWB -

I have been quoted 300 euros for up to 8 people. I'm wondering if you negotiated a price with them or were you quoted at 200 euros?

Were you required to make a 30% deposit to book the tour?

Also was there a separate guide and driver or just one person?

They also have indicated that we would need to walk to their office "Pelican Travel" from the cable car for the tour - did you do the same and was the office difficult to find?

Thanks for any additional info you can provide.

Thanks WWB -

I have been quoted 300 euros for up to 8 people. I'm wondering if you negotiated a price with them or were you quoted at 200 euros?

Were you required to make a 30% deposit to book the tour?

Also was there a separate guide and driver or just one person?

They also have indicated that we would need to walk to their office "Pelican Travel" from the cable car for the tour - did you do the same and was the office difficult to find?

Thanks for any additional info you can provide.

wwb - hope you can help again.

Hi Again,

I was charged 90 euro beforehand on a credit card. The final 110 euro was charged after/during the tour. I did not negotiate, but I am sure that you could. We were given a map and walked the 5 minute distance to Pelican travel.

OK... we got there early and a woman behind the desk (busy, Busy transportation desk)LOOKED like they didn't expect us. She told us to sit and wait for our guide. The guide was late by a few minutes. I assumed that it was going to be a bust, but I was very wrong. I woman breezed in (I believe her name was Tatiana) and started us on our tour. She DOES not work for Pelican, they contract her from somewhere else. BTW...she was not Greek. We were a bit concerned (especially since she showed up with a small car and we are big people), but she quickly exchanged the car for a van.

The tour was just perfect for us. I am sure that we saw more of Santorini than any other tourist that day. We started at the black sand beach, went to the charming town of Megalachori (sp?), went to a small winery and had tastings (bought some sweet dessert wine), went to viewpoints to see the caldera, visited Oia and were taken to the most beautiful spots for lookouts and photos. We did not want to do as much walking as othe groups, so we skipped the monastery (????) and went instead to Port Ammoudi for some appetizers at the pre-sunset. This was the highlight of our day!!!! and of course it was so unexpected.

We returned to Pelican and were given our receipt for the final 110 euro. We tipped the guide and returned to the cable car station to get back to the ship.

IT was a PERFECT day for us and we got some extreme photos. We even had our photo taken in Megachori with an old very, very small Greek woman who was in the standard black clothes, with the town in the background.

Hope this helps and ask if you need hep with something else. I should also tell you thAT i WENT INTO THE pELICAN TOUR "bLIND" because no one else had reviewed it on these boards that I had seen.

Wendy wwb

• 2 weeks later...
Hope to arrange a private excursion for a stop in Santorini from Nieuw Amsterdam in October.

Would appreciate any information about private operators that anyone has used and would recommend or not recommend. I have seen mention of a few but not much in the way of reviews. Thanks in advance.

Just got back, and used Ocean Waves Tours. Dimitri was great--300 euros for 4 people and 40 euros for each additional. Clean, air-conditioned van, he's a great driver, will take u to the best places and stay as long as you like....(within reason)He picked us up right at the cable cars in Thira, and dropped us off there. No probs at all. 50 euro deposit split amongst 6 people.

Archived