Possible to "Wing It" in Belize?

wiscwood

Hi Everyone! Originally, I had booked DH and I for a cave tubing excursion - but I'm cancelling that because I'd rather do something a little more low-key. I'm wondering if it is possible to wait until we get to Belize to decide between having a beach day or staying on the boat and doing spa treatments instead. If we decide on a last-minute beach day, can you just go to the port arrange transportation to Bannister Island or Caye Caulker - or is a pre-arranged tour absolutely needed?! Thanks!

Hi Everyone! Originally, I had booked DH and I for a cave tubing excursion - but I'm cancelling that because I'd rather do something a little more low-key. I'm wondering if it is possible to wait until we get to Belize to decide between having a beach day or staying on the boat and doing spa treatments instead. If we decide on a last-minute beach day, can you just go to the port arrange transportation to Bannister Island or Caye Caulker - or is a pre-arranged tour absolutely needed?! Thanks!

You can wait and see if your ship's excursion still has space available the night before you arrive. Not as likely to be able to sign up if the excursion's tender/boat is an early departure.

You can take an early tender to the TV and then turn left out of the TV and walk up to one of the 2 water taxi offices and catch their next taxi to Caye Caulker ( be advised that their times are Belize times and you'll need to catch an early taxi back).

But for last minute beach days that's about your only options.

Thanks for your help. I'm leaning towards waiting until the day before and seeing if there is still space on a ship beach excursion if we're feeling beachy! :)

you can always book now--i see you are doing NCL so you have 48 hrs to cancel before you reach that port.

with it being a TENDER port i would have something in mind.

Hmm, I wonder how frequently they sell out the ship tours. It would be nice to wait until the night before to decide what we're doing. I'm usually an over-planner, so I'm trying a different approach!

You can do anything you want in Belize - grab a Taxi/Tour out of the gate at the Tourist Village and tell them what you want to do. Caveat: Check out the vehicle. Go with a better looking one with AC and no rusts/dents.

Don't let the Ship's tours and their availability dictate what you do.

Every port I've been to in the W Carib have offered way better deals than the cattle calls off the ship.

Have fun!

We're thinking of winging it, too. Are there any options that would appeal to kids in the Tourist Village? Or would everything require a drive?

Thanks in advance

Everything will require a drive. There's nothing for kids in th eTV except possibly eating at Wet Lizard. Mainly shops. Just outsid ethe TV is a crafts fair that has some interesting handmade things,although mostly its knock offs of similar stuff in the TV or even the same Tees, only cheaper. Zoo (animal preserve) is 45 minutes away. You can do a walk down Regents and Queen streets to the Cutural Ministry house for some historic views of Belize during the British rule era. Nearest "local" beach is Cucumber Beach maybe 30 minutes away from TV but not always open daily and not what most cruisers would consider prime beach property.

Zoo (animal preserve) is 45 minutes away. You can do a walk down Regents and Queen streets to the Cutural Ministry house for some historic views of Belize during the British rule era.

Either of those will work for me and my daughter. Thanks for those ideas! The boys will be more active, so they're looking at scheduling something ahead of time.

• 2 weeks later...

I attempted to "wing it" in Belize...big mistake. It was pretty much gated from the town so attempting to book a tour with a local wasnt an option. So went we got back on the ship everyone who booked tours loved Belize.

-Heather

I attempted to "wing it" in Belize...big mistake. It was pretty much gated from the town so attempting to book a tour with a local wasnt an option. So went we got back on the ship everyone who booked tours loved Belize.

-Heather

FYI - The "gate" is open in both directions for cruise passengers.;)

Archived