Fear of flying

cajunpepsi

Im kinda in a quandry here, wifey has a fear of flying, dont know where it came from, she used to fly to visit her mom. Anyway, we are stuck driving 1500 miles to cruise, it takes two very long days to get there, airfare is cheap now, 350 roundtrip for both of us, nonstop, and only 3 hours each way. Anyone else have any suggestions, or similar situations. Dont know if meds might help or not, but I am starting to dread these drives.

My husband and I are not big fans of flying either. We take Xanax, it is a drug that you can get from your doctor and we find it takes the edge off of the anxiety of flying. I usually take one about one hour before we take off and I am okay the whole flight. We also have a portable DVD machine, so we also watch a movie on the flight. My husband hates flying so we always have to take flights on large planes, none of the smaller commuter jets. Hope this helps. If she does want to try the Xanax route, have her check with her doctor and if he agrees, have her take it on a Saturday when you will be hanging around the house so she can see how it will make her feel. She will probably be groggy and feel a little sluggish for a few hours after it wears off.

I never fly without Lorazepam (which I believe is a generic valium). But don't let her drive after taking one - they really do relax me. I don't like to fly either, and when we can combine a 10 day cruise with a few more days vacation, we do drive from Pittsburgh - FLL once a year instead of flying. But if I have to fly, and I sometimes do, even on business, I take drugs. I was always afraid having a few drinks instead might make me feel sick rather than relaxed.

On my last flight in 2002 I drew blood where I was clenching my husband's hand (across the aisle) so tightly during take off. As soon as the safety belt sign went off, two air stewards rushed from both ends of the plane to make sure I was ok!! My hubbie didn't get a look in - I think they were worried I was going to make a bid for freedom and open the door. Don't they realise I'm the best person to protect the exits - that's the LAST thing I'd do. :D

I sit rigid for the duration, listening to the engine and it takes me all my time to pluck up the courage to visit the washrooms. In the past I've been taken up to see the pilots to see if they can ease my fear, but alas every air trip is the same. I am, quite simply, PETRIFIED :o

Like your wife, I used to fly frequently - very often on my own - for business purposes and never had a problem. Where this fear has come from I really don't know.

Our next cruise in July has been booked for 18 months. I daren't even think about the flight because I know I will come out in a hot sweat. I fly because I want the end result. I want to go on the cruise so badly. The flight therefore has to be seen as a means to an end. Neither do I want to put my family through a long and protracted journey just to get to the port. Of course they all think I'm mad and love it flying. My one consolation therefore is that I haven't passed on my fears to them.

Some of the airlines over here run a 'fear of flying' course. Perhaps that's something worth considering if it's available. In the meantime, good luck to you both.

Laura

I can feel your pain! I can't even imagine having to drive two full days to get to the ship, and whats worse, two full days home afterward.

I think I would check with my MD to see if there is anything she can take where she wouldn't care where she is to get her on that plane.

I know these fears can be terrible to the ones suffering with them, but I think my cruising days would probably be over if I had that long drive to and from the port. It would be pure torture!

Maybe if you tell her SHE has to do all the driving.......................that might change her mind. (joking of coarse) LOL

Well, you don't have much time left, but as ourlol said, the major airports doe have "fear of flying" courses. But by the time you get her to go, if possible, the ticket price will probably skyrocket. Maybe a trip to the Dr. might help, just enough to take the edge off. Good luck.

My brother in law (police sargent and swat leader, so no baby here!) is terrified of flying (actually its the thought of hitting the ground that scares him, not the flight itself.) I took along MY pillow, and MY cd/walkman and it ended up that he used them and was forever grateful to me. He put in some Jazz (David Sandborn) and it really helped him relax a bit by just closing his eyes and listening to the music. My pillow was a comfort that you just can't get with the airplane pillows. He took dramamine to make him tired, not to prevent motion sickness, but the suggestions of Xanex are better for calming nerves. Over the counter Benadryl will give you a similar calming effect if you aren't already taking it for allergies and you don't have a problem with antihistamines.

Just a few suggestions hope they might help you!

Kelly

Xanax works for me anytime I have to fly. Hadn't flown since 1995 and flew last year to th bahammas. Took 1/2 xanax and was calmly reading magazines on the plane. I think i took another 1/2 just before boarding. Did not make me sleepy just relaxed. Planning on taking before I fly in 4 weeks to Ft.Lauderdale for my cruise. I found it really not that bad last year even when we were at the airport in the Bahammas and they has us take our shoes off and had the dogs patroling. They also had us sit in a seperate section cause we were flying into Washington DC, we could not leave our seats on the plane like 20 min. from landing in DC or 20 min. when first leaving DC. That was freaky but I felt it was safer after 9/11. My biggest fear now is them losing my luggage IN Philadelphia and not having all my stuff for the cruise. Don't think xanax will help that.!

Just wondering, but does anyone know anyone firsthand who has ever taken a fear of flying course and experienced a recovery? Seems to me the premise of such a course is to acclimate you to the flying experience. Geez, I've flown enough to earn 3 frequent flyer tickets in the last few years and I'm fully acclimated, but still a fearful flyer. I don't see how the course would help. I fully recognize that the fear of flying IS a TOTALLY IRRATIONAL fear in view of the fact that flying is much safer than driving. I once read that far more people die of choking each year than die in aircraft accidents, thus the greatest danger in flying is actually the inflight meal (a joke, but a fact nonetheless). I'm not actually afraid that I'll die on the plane, more afraid of having a panic-attack-meltdown, akin to being stuck in an enclosed place like an elevator. As I mentioned above, a lite doze of valium works for me (so does xanax). But I personally don't see the benefit of a course. Not saying it doesn't work, but I have a hard time seeing the benefit in it. Headphones and soothing music as mentioned above would be beneficial too.

I also break out in a sweat and get sick just hearing a airplane engine. Has anyone ever tried hypnosis? I would love to get over this fear. I used to fly, now it takes me 24 hrs to drive to Florida! Help! Marge

Trusted, Effective Treatment for Fear Of Travel

from

http://www.changethatsrightnow.com/problem_detail.asp?SDID=1420:1597

Trusted, Effective Treatment for Phobia Of Driving

from

http://www.changethatsrightnow.com/problem_detail.asp?SDID=6981:1955

Trusted, Effective Treatment for Fear Of Horses

from

http://www.changethatsrightnow.com/problem_detail.asp?SDID=1352%3A1536

Trusted, Effective Treatment for Fear Of Walking

from

http://www.changethatsrightnow.com/problem_detail.asp?SDID=990%3A1358

Linda2433 - which cruise are you taking in 4 weeks? We are on the Dawn sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale on April 19. If this is the one you are on, have you checked the Princess Roll Call? We have one started so check it out if this is the one you are on!:)

I am petrified of flying, but we just don't have enough time to drive two days, take a cruise, then drive home, not if we are doing a 10 day cruise.

So, it's kind of like a bribe - 7 days with four exhaustive days driving or fly and take a 10 day cruise.

Alaska, there was no way we could drive, although I would have if I could have!

I had the doctor prescribe something, then was afraid that if I took it I would be too "out of it" in the event of an emergency, so I didn't take it. For the same reason, I don't drink.

I also don't drink anything on the flight, because I don't want to go to the restroom!

Nothing makes flying easier, but when it's a choice of fly or don't go, I fly.

My husband chooses NOT to fly, even tho he has seen a psychiatrist and had a prescription for ativan for our first cruise in 1994. He drives wherever we go, and lets me go w/ friends if he can't get there. He is driving to Ft Lauderdale for a cruise on the 8th of April. We have been to the Bahamas for a week by taking an old boat that serves as a ferry for the locals.

I have learned it is a lot less hassle to let him do it his way. I am a trauma nurse and statistically, he is much more likely to be injured in a car than on a plane, but it is a control issue. So, keep the peace, and if your wife won't fly, go by ground. It's alot better than staying home!!!

The BIG problem...both of our daughters want beach weddings in the Caribbean- might be a lonf expensive sail for him to give them away!

SW

The last time we flew anywhere was back in March 2001. The first flight for my daughter (3 at the time). As we were buckling in, my husband whispered to me, "you better not look scared." I am a white-knuckled flier. My daughter loved the experience, saying, "faster, faster" as the plane was gaining speed.

As I said, we haven't flown since then probably because my husband hates lines and of course since 9-11, there have been long lines at LAX. So all of our vacations since then have been cruises out of San Pedro, which is a short drive. At least, until last summer when we took Amtrak up to Seattle and went on an Alaskan cruise. That was an experience as the tracks aren't in the best of condition and when the train is speeding along, you have to hold on.

If we do go on another cruise out of Florida, I'm sure I'll just have to practice that breathing I learned before giving birth.

I flew once to Ireland and I am not in any rush to get back on a plane. So as a result of my fear, Hubby has to drive to Fla. for our Cruises. We cruise at least twice a year, sometimes 3 times but it is a long, long drive. We just got off the CP on March 5, 2005 and that I95 is a "Nightmare". Last Sept. We cruised out of NYC about an hour and half from Our home but there are not many ships that do weekly sailings from NYC to Caribbean. We are hoping with redoing the NYC piers and facilities sometime soon, We will see more ships sail out of NY. We are looking forward to the new Crown Princess 2006 sailings and hope to be able to book a cruise on her. Until then and especially since 9/11, I cannot see myself ever flying again. I also took XANAX on trip to Ireland and I felt it did nothing for me. My hubby said what would I have been like if I didn't take it. I was at least calm. So I know how it feels too!!!

I wish I could fly as it has limited "My Traveling". There is so much more I want to see in this world. Ike

Your wife and most of the fearful flyers who have responsded to this post need professional counseling. I flew for many years with no fear at all, but had to prepare for an emergency landing almost 15 years ago and didn't fly for three years after that. I then mustered the courage to fly on one or two business trips a year for the next few years but with extreme anxiety and panic.

I finally began seeing a therapist and joined a panic and anxiety disorder course called "Chaange". For the past three years since going through therapy and taking the Chaange course, I actually love to fly now. I fly on buisness trips about twice a month all over the country and now go on vacations that I would not have dared go on due to my fear of flying.

There are also very good medications that you can take along with the therapy that helps you over come the anxiety and panic. I have learned to truly relax and that is the key to overcoming your fearful and panicky feelings. I know this might not help for your upcoming cruise, but you should look into this for your wife so you all can enjoy traveling in the future. If you do not have the Chaange program in your community, I am sure a good therapist could help your wife.

Have have to many times because I have close relatives living overseas.

Never travel on charters only on well known airlines.

Will only travel over the Atlantic on a plane with 4 engines.

When ever I hear of a problem....like for instance BA flying on 3 engines instead of 4...I question the airline.....and actually phoned Transport Canada....asked the guy to check the BA plane I will be travelling on to UK from Vancouver in May....gave him the flight number......

By the way does anyone know what type of plane Princess Air uses to Australia from LAX or YVR.......thats another AIR problem I have to worry about now.

I truly am a PARANOID flyer. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks for all the replys, we have opted for the XANAX, and wifey has agreed to that, so we are gonna give it a try, she has gotten a prescription from the doc. Made the reservations just a bit ago, non-stop both ways 3 hours, I appreciate her doing that, we have driven soo many times, hopefully this will work, if not, looks like we will be drivin next time.

Archived