Researched out!

camperhawk

Help, I think I may be over researching for Tampa hotels for this Oct. on the Legend. I have been looking for 2 weeks now and the more I check things out,the more confused and frustrated I get. I have only sailed from Tampa once, got in later in the day and stayed at the Hyatt regency downtown, nice hotel, good priceline price, but never left the hotel. This time I will be getting in early afternoon and would like to see more of the area. Now the wish list: would like a shuttle from airport and to cruise port, or at least to port, Took a cab last year to hotel. I thought Ybor city would be my choice so I could walk easily to see things and restaurants, but as I will be solo the night before the cruise...kept reading reviews about safety in that area, so I'm hesitant. Looked at Rocky Pont area,decent prices and some shuttles but it seems I won't be able to do much,since I won't have a car and really don't want to do a car rental for one afternoon and early evening. Maybe I am just reading too many hotel reviews. Since I am not at all familiar with the Tampa area, can someone help me stop this researching madness? Sorry this was so long, but any opinions or suggestions will be so appreciated! Thanks!

Help, I think I may be over researching for Tampa hotels for this Oct. on the Legend. I have been looking for 2 weeks now and the more I check things out,the more confused and frustrated I get. I have only sailed from Tampa once, got in later in the day and stayed at the Hyatt regency downtown, nice hotel, good priceline price, but never left the hotel. This time I will be getting in early afternoon and would like to see more of the area. Now the wish list: would like a shuttle from airport and to cruise port, or at least to port, Took a cab last year to hotel. I thought Ybor city would be my choice so I could walk easily to see things and restaurants, but as I will be solo the night before the cruise...kept reading reviews about safety in that area, so I'm hesitant. Looked at Rocky Pont area,decent prices and some shuttles but it seems I won't be able to do much,since I won't have a car and really don't want to do a car rental for one afternoon and early evening. Maybe I am just reading too many hotel reviews. Since I am not at all familiar with the Tampa area, can someone help me stop this researching madness? Sorry this was so long, but any opinions or suggestions will be so appreciated! Thanks!
You can get a shuttle from the airport to most of the area hotels/Port of Tampa, if not all of them. If you end up in the Rocky Point area, you could ask the shuttle driver to take you over to International Plaza for shopping and awesome food/drinks; Westshore area hotels can also take you over to International Plaza as well. Westshore area hotels can also take you over to Hyde Park/SoHo, where there are some really cool restaurants to go to - not a lot of shopping unfortunately :( Staying at a hotel in the Downtown area will allow you to access both Channelside (restaurants/nightlife) as well as Ybor City (restaurants/nightlife - both are accessible via the TECO Trolley, which runs at least every 30 minutes on weekends... $2.50 one way or $5.00 for an all-day pass which will allow you to use it as much as you can.

Yes Ybor City can get a bit "rough" at night - best bet would be to go there during the day/early evening.

Regardless, enjoy your time here and enjoy Legend! She's got a very special place in my heart :)

I sailed out of Tampa last year and will again this fall.

I stayed at MainSail Suites which is very nice. They have free airport pickup and shuttle to cruise port for around $9 pp. Nothing within walking distance but excellent private shuttle to anything within several mile radius. You can go to International mall, Westshore mall for shopping, restaurants.. very safe.

Marriott Waterside is nice also... you can actually see the ship from the river walk. You can catch the trolley which is practically in front of hotel, and it will take you to historic district... very fun. I didn't think it was unsafe.

Embassy Suites Downtown across street from Marriott... free breakfast

Embassy Suites Westshore... close to Westshore mall.

DoubleTree Westshore...(I will be staying here) airport shuttle.

Most of the hotels especially in Westshore or near airport will have airport shuttle free, the cruiseport shuttle may be extra. Some hotels have "cruise packages" that may include both.

Hope some of these suggestions are helpful.

Tahitian Inn - http://www.tahitianinn.com/

They offer free transport to and from TPA and also to and from the Port. Very reasonable and clean. Nice pool are and Tiki Bar. My boss just stayed there 3 weeks ago on my recomendation and enjoyed it. I will also be staying there in Sept. Check out the website, price is good and free transport and parking is a plus.

James

2009 we stayed @ Hampton Inn in Ybor City approx (1) mile from cruise port.

We used our http://www.checkinncard.com to reserve the room....Only paid $58.00/night plus parking.

My roommate & I parked at the port.($70) And others in our group parked at Hampton. ($35)

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=0UFCLZV0VTNRCCSGBJBOLYQ?ctyhocn=TPAYBHX

Archived