OASIS June 25th. - My Take

First off, I would like to apologize for waiting so long to write this. I wanted some time to evaluate our OASIS Experience.

This will not be a review per say. There are plenty of those on CC. I'll just give a run down on what we liked/disliked.

The Ship: Definate WOW factor. The ship is top notch and beautiful.

The Food: MDR food was good. Windjammer was, well, the Windjammer. Giovanni's Table was excellant.

Shows: All the shows were fantastic. Do not miss any of them!

Pools, Flowriders: Always found loungers by the pools, even on sea days. We stayed onboard the whole cruise just to enjoy the ship. We had the flowrider all to overselves for about an hour on two of the days. Our family loved the Flowriders.

Zipline: Why? We did it and found it a waste of time.

The Crew: One of the best we've had, next to the crew on the Serenade.

The DreamWorks Experience: We could have done without this. To me it cheapened the cruise experience somewhat. It just didn't feel right on a RCI cruise. We've done two Disney cruise and it fit in over their, but our DD's had out grown that and we left Disney.

Fellow Cruisers: This is where I'll probably get flamed. So let it rip. We had 6250 people onboard and 1700 were C&A members. That means 4,500 "new" cruisers, which is fine. The issue we had was with the rudeness and inconsiderate behavior of a minority of the cruisers, but it was a large minority. I'm not slamming any ethic groups here. They were global citizens. Why some people cannot be considerate of others is beyond me. Cutting in line, storming the elevators while others are trying to exit, running into people without even and "excuse me" or "sorry." These are not just kids and teens I'm talking about, there were adults doing the same stuff. We always make it a point to say hello to people all over the ship and we received replies maybe half the time. It's not that hard to say hello. We did meet some really great people onboard, as we always have, but they were few and far between. I'm not sure if it's because the ship is the "new big thing" that attracts this type of passenger or what it is, but I do not think we would sail on the Oasis again or even the Allure. I'll stick with RCI because we love their product, we'll just stay with the smaller ships.

Thanks for listening to my rant!

Fell free to ask me any questions and I'll try my best to answer.

Mike

I do agree, there were many rude people on the ship unfortunately. My husband and kids were at the portside flowrider every day from the time it opened until it closed! The sports staff was wonderful also.

First off, I would like to apologize for waiting so long to write this. I wanted some time to evaluate our OASIS Experience.

This will not be a review per say. There are plenty of those on CC. I'll just give a run down on what we liked/disliked.

The Ship: Definate WOW factor. The ship is top notch and beautiful.

The Food: MDR food was good. Windjammer was, well, the Windjammer. Giovanni's Table was excellant.

Shows: All the shows were fantastic. Do not miss any of them!

Pools, Flowriders: Always found loungers by the pools, even on sea days. We stayed onboard the whole cruise just to enjoy the ship. We had the flowrider all to overselves for about an hour on two of the days. Our family loved the Flowriders.

Zipline: Why? We did it and found it a waste of time.

The Crew: One of the best we've had, next to the crew on the Serenade.

The DreamWorks Experience: We could have done without this. To me it cheapened the cruise experience somewhat. It just didn't feel right on a RCI cruise. We've done two Disney cruise and it fit in over their, but our DD's had out grown that and we left Disney.

Fellow Cruisers: This is where I'll probably get flamed. So let it rip. We had 6250 people onboard and 1700 were C&A members. That means 4,500 "new" cruisers, which is fine. The issue we had was with the rudeness and inconsiderate behavior of a minority of the cruisers, but it was a large minority. I'm not slamming any ethic groups here. They were global citizens. Why some people cannot be considerate of others is beyond me. Cutting in line, storming the elevators while others are trying to exit, running into people without even and "excuse me" or "sorry." These are not just kids and teens I'm talking about, there were adults doing the same stuff. We always make it a point to say hello to people all over the ship and we received replies maybe half the time. It's not that hard to say hello. We did meet some really great people onboard, as we always have, but they were few and far between. I'm not sure if it's because the ship is the "new big thing" that attracts this type of passenger or what it is, but I do not think we would sail on the Oasis again or even the Allure. I'll stick with RCI because we love their product, we'll just stay with the smaller ships.

Thanks for listening to my rant!

Fell free to ask me any questions and I'll try my best to answer.

Mike

I don't think it's much different than if you put a large amount of people together in most other environments...thats just the nature of the way it is... it's similar at most other large resorts or theme parks....I have heard people say that about Atlantis for years. I have also run into rude undesirable groups of people on small ships.

Could not agree more (unfortunately.) Oasis was my 6th RCCL cruise and this was the first time I experienced this. People needlessly blocking stairways, cutting in line. Loved the ship and MOST my fellow passengers. RCCL engineers figured out how to add a zip line, a carousel and ice skating to ships. Can't they come up with a solution for rude passengers? :) (That's a joke folks.)

I agree about rude people.... It sometimes makes me think they believe they are the only ones on the planet. So much better if you can spread a little kindness. It comes in all forms and sizes, all age groups, etc.... Have found that a smile, a thank you, a please, gets us so much and the cost is small...

I appreciate the comment regarding rude people, it burns me up at times! I tend to make loud comments not always cool but oh well!! I will not let them ruin my day!'

Thanks for your thoughts

I was watching Ghost Busters today and when I heard my favorite line from the movie it made me think of this thread....."being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God given right."

Easy solution for Royal - Ban all future pax who are originating from South America or in particular, Brazil.

Brazilians are already a problem at disney world. There are numerous threads devoted to the infamous "brazilian tour groups" on disboards. Here's one: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520684

I have found the groups of Brazilians we have encountered on cruises in the past to be rude as well. Now I must say we have cruised with groups from Argentina and they were very polite, even with the language barrier.

Some years ago (mid 90's) my mother, sister and I were on an RCI cruise to the Caribbean that also was host to a LARGE number of Spanish-speaking passengers on some sort of group (don't know what country they were from). It was BEDLAM! We called it "the cruise from Hell". You couldn't get near the pool, we were constantly bombarded with VERY loud music from competing boom-boxes, and the ship ran out of liquor. Our cabin was on a fairly high deck, but in speaking with someone from a lower deck, she said the people would run up and down the halls all night, singing and banging on doors as they ran by. There were drunks everywhere. The t-shirt sales on the pool deck were unimaginable chaos....people pushing, shoving, tearing clothes from other people's hands...all for a $10 t-shirt! When it came time to disembark, we were delayed over an hour because ONE person failed to report to Immigration. That person was paged again, and again, and AGAIN. I would not be surprised of some people missed flights because of one inconsiderate person. Fortunately, that was the only time we encountered this.

Going back 10 years ago on P&O I cant say we meet any really rude people, but hey its now 10 years later, but I have decided whatever I see or encounter on the rudeness/queue jumpers this coming cruise I am going to turn the other cheek and smile be optimistic and just enjoy ourselves.

Going back 10 years ago on P&O I cant say we meet any really rude people, but hey its now 10 years later, but I have decided whatever I see or encounter on the rudeness/queue jumpers this coming cruise I am going to turn the other cheek and smile be optimistic and just enjoy ourselves.

Fine, but I usually say " How thoughtless of me, go right ahead, I don't want to be rude"

Do you think the rudeness is more prevalent during the summer months or all year round?

Alllure December 2010 - wonderful crowd of people

Allure June 2011 - one small young teen group was not monitored. They were obnoxious!

Easy solution for Royal - Ban all future pax who are originating from South America or in particular, Brazil.

Brazilians are already a problem at disney world. There are numerous threads devoted to the infamous "brazilian tour groups" on disboards. Here's one: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520684

We were on the same sailing and we encountered 2 different family's from Brazil.

1. He had 5 small children from ages 2 to 8 and one on the way, as we were waiting in line to go into the show Hairspray, we were the 2nd set of family in line he and his family were like #10 in line, still not a bad position to be to get into the Theater, as the door opened he told his children in their native language to get around everybody and get to the front and told them what row of seats to go to, very rude. Every time we saw them we would go the other way because he was so irritation I did not want my day to be messed up.

2. We encountered a couple at the elevators and they smiled at us and asked "American" we said yes and in his broken English he told us how much he liked American that they were very friendly.

So I am thinking you will get any types of people does not matter where they are from.

We were on the same sailing and we encountered 2 different family's from Brazil.

1. He had 5 small children from ages 2 to 8 and one on the way, as we were waiting in line to go into the show Hairspray, we were the 2nd set of family in line he and his family were like #10 in line, still not a bad position to be to get into the Theater, as the door opened he told his children in their native language to get around everybody and get to the front and told them what row of seats to go to, very rude. Every time we saw them we would go the other way because he was so irritation I did not want my day to be messed up.

2. We encountered a couple at the elevators and they smiled at us and asked "American" we said yes and in his broken English he told us how much he liked American that they were very friendly.

So I am thinking you will get any types of people does not matter where they are from.

Funny the contrasts here...I could cite similar stuff from a different country where people were both very nice and others from same place the rudest...I with one told him to back off and not cut...he was offended but clearly he was not aware he was not of the highest order...couple of others from Europe agreed with how rude he was...were a bit surprised I called the guy out on it...

Of course many kids in DD's class come from the country of origin for the rude dude...and all seem to be pretty nice, in part possibly because they have become a bit more Americanized.

My personal experience with the Brazillians is they are very nice...but then I know many who live here in Houston...

My neighbors are from Argentina and Romania...awesome folks...

Archived