GS on VOS..Q's

Hello and thank you in advance for any help!

1st cruise for mom (70's) and me (40's) in June in GS on VOS....cabin 1568..anyway

- Mom is on the large side....and snores (!) Do you think its better to leave the beds together for her and use the sofa bed? That separator curtain looks good!

- what's the space like? Will we feel that we're on top of each other while in the cabin? It looks so big in the pic's.....is it?

-I will be bringing my laptop...what's the outlet situation like? are they 2 or 3 prong? Are there enough?

- how is the balcony? Do you get any sun on it? Spacious?

- do you need a bungee to keep the door open?

- did you enjoy using the concierge lounge?

Hmmm...i think that's it for now...again...thanks!

Hello and thank you in advance for any help!

1st cruise for mom (70's) and me (40's) in June in GS on VOS....cabin 1568..anyway

- Mom is on the large side....and snores (!) Do you think its better to leave the beds together for her and use the sofa bed? That separator curtain looks good!

- what's the space like? Will we feel that we're on top of each other while in the cabin? It looks so big in the pic's.....is it?

-I will be bringing my laptop...what's the outlet situation like? are they 2 or 3 prong? Are there enough?

- how is the balcony? Do you get any sun on it? Spacious?

- do you need a bungee to keep the door open?

- did you enjoy using the concierge lounge?

Hmmm...i think that's it for now...again...thanks!

The large bed in the GS does not separate from what I remember. I had a GS on the Navigator and it felt like one big bed, maybe it can be split, but I don't think so?? However, there is a sofa bed that can easily accomodate an adult and is supposed to be fairly comfortable. The room is a good size, but not as big as the pictures make it look. However, you won't have any problem moving around as there is plenty of space. The bathroom is what concerns me especially for your Mom. The tub is about 18 inches off the floor and it is totally marble flooring. Please make sure she is very careful getting in and out of that tub. I'm 40 and even I took an extra bit of care getting out of that tub.

Flent's earplugs are the best thing since sliced bread when dealing with those who snore. $3.99 at the local drug store and you will have peacful nights.

The outlet situation is great right by the vanity, several outlets! No bungee cords necessary as the doors slide rather than open in and out. Also, the concierge lounge is FABULOUS for a light breakfast or cocktails before dinner.

The balcony is long and rectangular. Very nice with a lounger, a chair, and a small table. The balconies on the VOS are a bit different than the NOS, so I can't answer the sun question.

I has GS once, it was great. If you use the internet hook up you will be limited where you can plug your computer in since it has to be near a phone. It is a 3 plug outlet.

I believe the beds split apart and the couch is a distance away. The balcony is huge, the door stays open by itself.

Sun maybe an issue since it is enclosed on 3 sides.

The lounge is great, free cocktails and access to the ice skating show without waiting. You'll love it!

do you think that a long phone wire and extension cord would help? i'm assuming the phone would be by the "vanity" area by the bed? it would be great to be able to have the laptop closer to "my side" of the cabin..although i NEVER seem to use it as much as i think i will when i'm away....;) ...too much else to do and see....and thanks for the info!

Well since both items (phone wire and ext. cord) are fairly small items to pack, you should bring them just in case. The phone is right next to the bed on the nightstand and that is very near the vanity area of course, but I'd hate to tell you that you wouldn't need them and then you do!!

The GS is a great space! It feels a little more "home-like" than a regular cabin given the bar area, the sitting area with TV, etc. I know you are super excited as I can remember that feeling distinctly.

Use the concierge as much as possible for whatever you need. That's what they are there for! Ice tickets, early debarkation tags, or DVDs/VHS movies if you have an early evening and just want to relax in your cabin.

Have a great time!!

The phone cord is not a normal phone cord....You can't interchange them so I don't think bring your own will help.

They give you a kit, and you have to use their equipment.

The connection is very very slow, about half of what a dial up connection is. The connection also disconnects very frequently. We have found it is quicker and less frustrating to find an internet cafe to send email. Enjoy your cruise.

thanks for the heads up alexkrn46, nothing more frustrating than a lousy internet connection for a computer geek like me! I'll either go with low expectations or use the cafe......

Wish i had more questions...just LOVE reading your responses! :p thanks again ....

We were just on AOS in a grand suite. I must admit, I snore quite badly (sometimes I wake myself up). My fiance used earplugs and they seemed to work. While it is correct that the phoneline is different (the phone end is unique), you could buy an adapter (female/female) to connect to the pc side of the line and then attach you longer phone line. Connection is very slow. Really only good for sending e-mails and small pix. You can surf but it might drive you batty. We have been in a GS on Brilliance as well and it seemed as though the AOS suite was smaller although still quite large. I also like the balconys on the Radiance class ships better. They are not as closed in, although not as private. Anyway, have fun. I know you will.

Mark

Archived