Golden Princess to Hawaii over the Christmas/New Year holiday

Faith77

I've cruised over the holidays either solo or with my mid 20s niece on 12+ night cruises on HAL (Amsterdam, Rotterdam) and Princess (Dawn) over the late few years. In 2012 I am thinking about doing the Hawaii cruise either solo or with my niece on the Golden Princess.

My niece would love to try one of the larger ships and both of us think that the activity and cultural activities would be better on Princess then on HAL.

I'd love to hear about cruisers experiences on the Golden to Hawaii. I am a bit concerned about being overwhelmed by large families/groups of kids. Would families book a cruise with so many sea days? I've never had any problems on my other cruises. Thanks for your feedback. Faith

We have done the Christmas Cruise to Hawaii for the past four years, three on the Golden and the first on the Diamond Princess so I will share our experience. We are a family with two school age kids and there are lots of other families like ours, lots of kids and lots of extended families traveling during that time frame. It does pretty much coincide with the Christmas holiday break for most so even though it is a 14 day trip, you will find lots of families and lots of children on board.

That being said, however, I don't think you will find it overwhelming or unpleasant in the least. There is more than enought to keep every age group happily occupied and the kids have plenty to do and are not a problem. Personally I love sharing the holidays with lots of families and children as it just adds to the festive nature of the season.

The ships are beautifully decorated, there are numerous holiday activities and the Hawaiian cultural program on the Golden led by Elua and CD David Cole is top notch. I don't think you would be disappointed as it is a wonderful cruise from beginning to end. We are taking a break and staying home for the holidays this year, but I am certain we will be back for a future sailing.

We wanted to do this cruise so much but Heather was unable to get an extra days leave granted so we could fly out - so jellous of all of you doing this cruise - hope you have a great time.

Hoping our holiday dates work out better for the same cruise next year.

We are going on this cruise. My friend and I are taking our daughters who will be 19 and 20. We are also taking my dad and his girlfriend, who are older than that.;) We are really looking forward to the mixing and matching. The 4 of us girls love cruises because we can all do as little or as much as we want. I think like any vacation, you get out what you put into it. I personally am looking forward to making leis, naps and wine and cheese on the balcony! And maybe bingo...:rolleyes:

We did this cruise last December (we joined Karatemom's trivia team on many of the days) and had a ball. It was even better than when we were on the same itinerary on the Island in 2005 as the team of Elua and the cruise director's staff really emphasized the Hawaiian aspect in the many activities. My teen thought the teen program could have been better (but then she's a teen, so no matter what it would be "lame":rolleyes:).

I would definitely consider going again -- we just need to get the girl on the same page.

Can anyone comment on how rough the waters were in December? I am concerned about how well my children will enjoy crossing the Pacific ocean if it's really wavy.

Thanks, Katherine

Anybody do a island excursion that you especially enjoyed? I will check out the Hawaii port section of cruisecritic for additional information. Faith

Some of our favorites:

Honolulu:

Pearl Harbor and USS Missouri

Punchbowl National Cemetery

Hiking to top of Diamond Head

Kualoa Ranch

Hilo:

Volcanoes National Park

Punaluu Black Sand Beach

Panaewa Rainforest Zoo

Hawaiian Vanilla Company

Kauai:

Hanalei Beach

Poipu Beach

Lahaina:

Snorkeling/Whale Watch with Pacific Whale Foundation

Kaanapali Beach

Historic Walking Tour Lahaina

Can anyone comment on how rough the waters were in December? I am concerned about how well my children will enjoy crossing the Pacific ocean if it's really wavy.

Thanks, Katherine

It is not necessarily that it is rough, but there is a strong Pacific current that you cross. While a couple of our crossings have been rockier than others due to the current and a winter storm, I would say that while you will experience some rocking and rolling the first couple and perhaps the last couple of days, I wouldn't let it stop you from doing this trip. My kids actually find the motion fun. I kind of enjoy it too. It really reminds you that you are on a ship at sea.

Archived