Ever stay a week at Atlantis?

pampaul

We're a family of 4 that like to travel. We've done the whole Disney thing when the boys were younger. We've been on 4 cruises with 2 more booked as we speak. And while we love to do both of these types of vacations, we've been tossing around the idea of an "all inclusive resort" stay for a week.

We've never done an all inclusive resort vacation before so don't know what to expect. And we probably won't go until 2013 (cruising next month and also next year 2012) My boys will be 16 and 17 at that time. They are big water lovers and I'm thinking that they will love all the pools and waterslides there. What else is there for kids their age to do?

Can you also tell me how the hotel was? What about the food? I just sent away for their brochure so I'm hoping someone who has stayed there for a period of time (not just the day pass) can tell me all the details!!!

Thanks

the Atlantis is not all inclusive, although I think you could pay through the nose for that option. We stayed for about 5 days at the cheaper hotel across the street (comfort suites), which includes a continental breakfast and admission to atlantis, at a much lower cost. You should really consider this to save money.

While I thoroughly enjoyed out stay there I think everyone else had enough after 3 or 4 days. Atlantis has a lot to offer, but it adds up VERY quickly. The one poster was correct in that Atlantis is not all inclusive, but I think we paid $150 per person per day for the food to be included...not worth it. I guess it was when you looked at the ala carte prices but you are limited to certain meals at certain restaurants and you can get certain things...

Not sure what the boys are into but the slides are the best but you can only do them so many times...you can snorkel in their lagoon which is nice, you can helmet dive with sharks, you can snuba in the lagoon, they have snorkeling tours that go out from their beach each day, and scuba too if you are certified. Their dolphin programs are awesome, especially the deep water swim but it will set you back a pretty penny.

I would not go with the meal package, when we were there no of the options included alcohol, just food. If you go, consider the price difference in the Atlantis and the comfort suites or even go to VRBO and see if anyone has one of the condos in the Atlantis listed for rent for the week, all of these choices give you access to the property and the slides and such. Take the time to do some things off property though, especially your meals and you will see and meet some wonderful people and have some pretty good meals and experiences...

I would return to the Atlantis for a week tomorrow and my 10 yr old daughter would also, but hubby and 17 yr old daughter would pass on a week...

We've been to Atlantis several times and stayed a week each trip. We love it there, but everyone is correct in saying "it ain't cheap" ;). We stayed in the Reef and completely loved it...Lovely long lazy river (crowded at times) nice calm beach area, fantastic up scale (and I mean "up scale") buffet called mosaics. Bobby Flay's Mesa grill (fantastic) I could go on and on....It's a great place.

• 2 weeks later...

Try to book a room in one of the Harborside Villas. They are individually owned condos that are often rented out. You get much more room for your money, including washer/dryer and full kitchen facilities.

A shuttle van comes by the property several times a day for the short five minute ride to the main Atlantis property.

Also, Harborside has a very nice pool and luncheon restaurant on site.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from a cruise and did the ship's 1/2 adventure park excursion. The DH and two teen-aged boys loved it. I hated it!!! Way to crowded and food options were awful and pricey! $4 for a Coke!:eek: I mean come on!:mad:

However, we just found out that one of the DH's work associates just spent a week at the Atlantis with his family and they had a great time. There are pools just for the people staying at the Atlantis so they didn't have to do the Adventure Park much, although their kids loved it!

So, I guess I'm odd-woman out!:D

If this is something you want to do, I would definitely investigate things every closely, especially consider what your budget is and what you can get for it. Whatever you decide, I hope you and your family have a great time!:D

However, we just found out that one of the DH's work associates just spent a week at the Atlantis with his family and they had a great time. There are pools just for the people staying at the Atlantis so they didn't have to do the Adventure Park much, although their kids loved it!

So, I guess I'm odd-woman out!:D

:D

There is only 2 pools that are guests only, the CAIN (adults only) pool is for COVE guests only, and the pool at the Reef is for COVE and REEF guests only..

If you are in any of the other towers, harbourside, One and Only or Comfort suites, you mingle with the thousands of day guests and share those pools.

Only Reef and Cove guests have special priveleges.

There is only 2 pools that are guests only, the CAIN (adults only) pool is for COVE guests only, and the pool at the Reef is for COVE and REEF guests only..

If you are in any of the other towers, harbourside, One and Only or Comfort suites, you mingle with the thousands of day guests and share those pools.

Only Reef and Cove guests have special priveleges.

It's funny how much extra it costs to be special at the Atlantis:eek:...I do not have the resources to be able to pay the difference for either of those 2 towers and not sure having 2 pools is worth the difference...

It's funny how much extra it costs to be special at the Atlantis:eek:...I do not have the resources to be able to pay the difference for either of those 2 towers and not sure having 2 pools is worth the difference...

i hear ya.. it's hard to feel "special" when you are one of 8000 - 10000 people on the property at any given time.

Family Travel Story - great slideshow, thanks for posting the link!

Mousey - glad your hubby and kids had a great time at Atlantis, sorry it wasn't for you. Please write a review. I'm interested to see how everything went with you getting into port in the pm. and did you book thru Comfort Suites?

Family Travel Story - great slideshow, thanks for posting the link!

Mousey - glad your hubby and kids had a great time at Atlantis, sorry it wasn't for you. Please write a review. I'm interested to see how everything went with you getting into port in the pm. and did you book thru Comfort Suites?

No, we booked our 1/2 day Atlantis Adventure Park excursion through Carnival. I believe it was $120 or $125 pp. It was more than enough time to be there. I did write a review and you can read it on the "Members Review" board. I was glad the kids enjoyed the place because it was for them that we booked the excursion. This is not something that the DH and I would have done had we been by ourselves. I hate to admit it, as I usually enjoy anything we do together even if it isn't my first choice, but I just didn't like the place at all. I certainly would never go back there again. But, that's just MHO and I don't want to discourage others from going there and giving it a try. As I said, the guys loved it!

• 8 months later...

Yes, I had stay for a week at Atlantis many times. It was too expensive to been there for a week. But we enjoyed great vacations. We paid about $150 per person. Atlantis has plenty of nature, fun, beaches, resorts and hotels. So it’s not a big deal to stay for a week there.

I have a friend who was just there in April. He said it was very nice, very expensive and very crowded. This guy is wealthy and has no problem with the "best" of everything. I think he rented a townhouse or something like that. I figure if he says its pricey, its over my head. lol :)

Archived