Barcelona touring - June 25-28 2012

lightenergy

Earlier in ths thread, Mura mentioned Montserrat. If you have 3 days in Bacelona, Montserrat is worth considering as a day trip. It's easy to do yourself without a tour . The train that leaves from Plaça d'Espanya station (you can get there by subway) will take you to the base of the mountain (about 50 kilometers) and place you at the aerial tramway that goes up to the monastery,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnGDV0xaD6TTcGrqpOT3ZrbzuUCB72lqoz3_uOx1y5kEKF5kIQ

or to the rack railway that crawls up the mountain.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1J3k0uHJW7aI_dJvQDPfSxE8jb_t0jrQkLkxQDwodiCYmSW19hA

Once there, it's easy to get around. There are two funiculars -- one takes you on up to the summit (we didn't do that one) and a shorter one drops you down a short distance to the path to the Holy Grotto (Santa Cova).

santa-cova-cc-epteamadv.jpg

St. Michaels path to the Chapel at the Holy Grotto has some changes of elevation and some steps but was negotiable for me back when my heart damage was affecting me the most (I've gotten stronger, since). It's less than 1.5 kilometers each way if you take the funicular down and up; some people walk down (strenuous) and ride up (very strenuous otherwise).

Along the path are 15 sculptures, bronse and/or carved into the side of the mountain, called the Mysteries of the Rosary. They were carved by famous artists and are simply spectacular; not to be missed, including this one, the First Mystery of Glory, by Gaudi:

Primer%20Misteri%20de%20la%20gl%C3%B2ria.jpg

If you get to the monastery before Noon, head for the Bailica to hear the famous boy's choir, which performs most days at 1:00 PM, except July and the Christmas holidays. While there, join the line to go above and behind the altar to touch the Black Madonna.

madonna-cc-greg-gladman.jpg

We rented a car through our hotel, drove out to Montserrat in the morning, spent most of the day there, then drove another 50 kilometers to the town of Cardona, where we stayed overnight in the Parador de Cardona, a Spanish tourist hotel built into a 9th century castle.

pcardext.jpg

Then, we drove back to Barcelona, walked Las Ramblas and spent a full day on the HOHO (hop on, hop off) seeing the main Barcelona sights. It was an easy drive, with the worst part of getting used to the thousands of motor scooters in Barcelona that seemd to buzz around, over and under our little car.

We'll be in Barcelona for the third time in May, will once again walk Las Ramblas (never tire of that) and once again visit the Sagrada Familia to see the progress -- they're actually on track to finish it within 10 years!

I heartily endorse the suggestion of a visit to Montserrat. On the trip where we went there (unfortunately we took a tour and wished we'd gone on our own) we also spent a day in Girona which was very interesting. But if this is your first visit to Barcelona and you only have three days, I'd stay in town.

I agree that the HOHO bus is the perfect way to familiarize yourself with Barcelona, and if you pass by something you want to see (such as the Miro Museum) you get off and catch the next bus.

You should also be sure to visit at least one of the Gaudi creations -- the church, two houses, and the park are at the top of my list. With limited time I wouldn't say go to them all!

On our last visit to Barcelona we were going to return to the church but the line was so horrendous that we changed our minds. According to our taxi driver three or four ships were in town. When we'd "done" the church on a previous visit, no ships were in town. That made a big difference!

Have fun, Barcelona is a great city ... but watch your valuables! Barcelona is well known for its pickpockets and scams.

Mura

We stayed two nights at Hotel Montecarlo, La Rambla 124. Great staff. We were upgraded at check-in. Great location. Walk to HOHO, market and restaurants. Found hotel on Trip Advisor.

We are booked for 2 nites at the Hotel Montecarlo this Sept. post cruise. What would the time distance be to the airport?

That's good to know! Our first visit to Sagreda Familia was in November 2005 (maybe the time of year was also a reason that lines were non-existent) and we spent the entire afternoon there. Don't just go into the church itself but be sure to visit the museum as well. I personally wasn't willing to hike up to the top of the bell tower (or whatever the top is) but for people who are able to make the hike, I'm sure it is well worth it!

We've now visited both houses (Pedrera and Casa Batllo) plus Palau Guell, and Parc Guell ... but this site says we have missed even more:

http://www.globotreks.com/destinations/10-gaudi-buildings-barcelona/

But with a short visit, do try to fit in one site (or even two) ... I was dubious about the merits on our first visit, and then I visited the places. It's unlike anything else! Parc Guell has a wonderful dragon ceramic figure that is just ... wonderful! (But it's a long bus ride up there!)

So much to see, three days doesn't allow for more than a flavor.

But that's true of all major European cities!

Mura

That's good to know! Our first visit to Sagreda Familia was in November 2005 (maybe the time of year was also a reason that lines were non-existent) and we spent the entire afternoon there. Don't just go into the church itself but be sure to visit the museum as well. I personally wasn't willing to hike up to the top of the bell tower (or whatever the top is) but for people who are able to make the hike, I'm sure it is well worth it!

We've now visited both houses (Pedrera and Casa Batllo) plus Palau Guell, and Parc Guell ... but this site says we have missed even more:

http://www.globotreks.com/destinations/10-gaudi-buildings-barcelona/

But with a short visit, do try to fit in one Gaudi site (or even two) ... I was dubious about the merits on our first visit -- his architecture just seemed so weird! And then we visited the buildings themselves. It's unlike anything else! Parc Guell has a wonderful dragon ceramic figure that is just ... wonderful! (But it's a long bus ride up there!) And information about the engineering involved changed my mind! You will find this kind of information at the church and Pedrera, if not elsewhere.

So much to see, three days doesn't allow for more than a flavor.

But that's true of all major European cities!

Mura

For tours if you will be there perhaps only a day and traveling around with luggage before going to ship then Barcelonadaytours.com are wondeful .

They also do transfers from airport or pick up from the ship to airport or hotel.

Otherwise, again the hop on /off buses (there are 2different lines that go all over )..are easy and don't break the bank.

For hotels there are so many, but said it before and will say it again ( and again) we love the Hotel Colon.

It is a wonderful hotel on a street where cars can not drive fronts the hotel with the cathedral in front of it, ask for a view room.

Lots of cafes , mimes and then you are a block off Las Ramblas..so location is excellent.

:D

Archived