Beaches

kimber88

We will be making a stop in this port and want to visit a nice beach with white sands, blue water, clean bathrooms and can get a few drinks. What we would like to avoid are large crowds.

We have done research, but decided to go to the experts for advice.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

This is our first cruise!! :)

It would probably be best if you mentioned the places you researched and that interest you and then people can tell you if they have been there and what their opinion and experience is with those places so that you can make a decision. :)

There are lot of beach like that ( a nice beach with white sands, blue water, clean bathrooms and can get a few drinks. What we would like to avoid are large crowds) in south east asia

Mainly VietNam 1968 to 1973 (3 tours) Unless you were caring your rifle.

Paul

We will be making a stop in this port and want to visit a nice beach with white sands, blue water, clean bathrooms and can get a few drinks. What we would like to avoid are large crowds.

We have done research, but decided to go to the experts for advice.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

This is our first cruise!! :)

Take a look at http://www.karakterbeach.com/

We really like Simpson Bay beach and this bar/restaurant serves great food and the drinks are served in glass glasses and they use white china plates for the food which is quite nice while spending time at the beach.

Is Karakter Beach Bar a good for families or more for a party area? Are the chairs/umbrellas free if not what is the charge?

I also was looking Mary's Boom Beach Plantation and Buccaneer beach bar. Mary's Boom Beach does not rent out chairs/umbrellas but might let use theirs if you get lunch$$$ at their restaurant. Buccaneer chairs/umbrellas are free but unsure if this is a family area or not.

Karakter Beach Bar is after the bridge correct so you could get in traffic correct. The other two places are before the bridge.

I am looking for at all possible very calm waters, a place with chairs/umbrellas for a few hours in the afternoon.

Take a look at www.karakterbeach.com/

We really like Simpson Bay beach and this bar/restaurant serves great food and the drinks are served in glass glasses and they use white china plates for the food which is quite nice while spending time at the beach.

Is Karakter Beach Bar a good for families or more for a party area? Are the chairs/umbrellas free if not what is the charge?

I also was looking Mary's Boom Beach Plantation and Buccaneer beach bar. Mary's Boom Beach does not rent out chairs/umbrellas but might let use theirs if you get lunch$$$ at their restaurant. Buccaneer chairs/umbrellas are free but unsure if this is a family area or not.

Karakter Beach Bar is after the bridge correct so you could get in traffic correct. The other two places are before the bridge.

I am looking for at all possible very calm waters, a place with chairs/umbrellas for a few hours in the afternoon.

Karakter Beach Bar was in no way a party beach the times that I patronized the place or when we just stopped at the beach for a swim. Yes families go there. There are waves so it would not be the best beach for toddlers IMHO. The loungers are included if you purchase drinks/food.

We had a very good lunch at Marys Boon in March of 2010 and they set up lounge chairs for us in the afternoon and we spent a really nice quiet afternoon there.

What might be nice for you if you have a family and you want to spend time at Buccaneers beach bar is that it is close to the playstation that Aquamania has out in the water and your children might like to spend some time enjoying that. Simpson Bay beach is a much nicer beach than KimSha beach where the Buccaneer is though. Even when we stay at the Royal Palm or Flamingo resorts, which are within walking distance to this beach we most often will just get in the car and drive the short 5-10 minutes (depending on the traffic) and go to Simpson Bay Beach if we want to spend more than a few minutes in the water.

we stumbled upon Little Bay. A 10 min cab ride ($4 pp) to Divi resort at Little Bay. $5 lounger rental. Gizmo's there is a great beach bar with good food at very reasonable rate for being a resort. Gizmo the resident macaw parrot cruises up & down the bar. We planned on only staying for a couple hours & going over to Maho to see the planes but our family of 4 just were having too much fun to leave. We stayed all day. Also there is a beach hut that rents snorkel gear and jet skis.

When you get out of the cab, just walk past the condo time share saleswoman who wants to sell you a day package for the beach as long as you look at 1 of the condos (just keep walking) & hit the beach & rent a chair & umbrella.

We will go back next time on the island. It was our best port stop of the week.

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you for the information. I thought Buccaneer was in Simpson Bay. Can you tell me more about lunch at at Marys Boon? What was the cost and what did you get? I could only find a dinner menu on their site and it seemed expensive. Do you happen to know a taxi would be for three people to Marys Boon from Marigot?

Simpson bay has calm waters (if possible) and not rocky correct?

Is the bridge and traffic a problem? I was thinking in the AM go to Marigot for a hour or so. Then spending 3 to four hours at the beach and then go to Rima beach wear then walk back to the boat.

Karakter Beach Bar was in no way a party beach the times that I patronized the place or when we just stopped at the beach for a swim. Yes families go there. There are waves so it would not be the best beach for toddlers IMHO. The loungers are included if you purchase drinks/food.

We had a very good lunch at Marys Boon in March of 2010 and they set up lounge chairs for us in the afternoon and we spent a really nice quiet afternoon there.

What might be nice for you if you have a family and you want to spend time at Buccaneers beach bar is that it is close to the playstation that Aquamania has out in the water and your children might like to spend some time enjoying that. Simpson Bay beach is a much nicer beach than KimSha beach where the Buccaneer is though. Even when we stay at the Royal Palm or Flamingo resorts, which are within walking distance to this beach we most often will just get in the car and drive the short 5-10 minutes (depending on the traffic) and go to Simpson Bay Beach if we want to spend more than a few minutes in the water.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the information. I thought Buccaneer was in Simpson Bay. Can you tell me more about lunch at at Marys Boon? What was the cost and what did you get? I could only find a dinner menu on their site and it seemed expensive. Do you happen to know a taxi would be for three people to Marys Boon from Marigot?

Simpson bay has calm waters (if possible) and not rocky correct?

Is the bridge and traffic a problem? I was thinking in the AM go to Marigot for a hour or so. Then spending 3 to four hours at the beach and then go to Rima beach wear then walk back to the boat.

Some members of my family had pasta and club house sandwiches and I believe that I had a chef's salad. It was not overly expensive. I think most items were between $10 and $15 dollars.

Karaketer next door is really good the food there really surprised me. You might want to check both places out and then decide which one to go to. Karakter is closed on Tuesday's and Mary's Boon has a brunch only on Sunday's. It is a nice sandy beach. I don't know off hand about the taxi fare but I would guess $20 for 2 would sound close. Sounds like you would be leaving the beach somewhere around 2:30 and you should miss major traffic and bridge issues at this time. Make sure that you give yourself about 45 minutes to walk to the ship from Rima. It should not take that long but in the heat you always want to give some time in case you need to take a rest.

Archived