Glory to Canada Review 7/2/11 - with Pictures Amidst the Fog

nybumpkin

Thanks for posting your review. I'm considering this cruise next year. How much was the Carnival tour you took of St. John? My mom would like that.
It was $49 for us, $39 for our 11 YO. I thought it was a pretty reasonable price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the great review. We were on the same cruise. Will be posting a review shortly. We had a great time on the Glory. Our 5th cruise to Canada, Triumph/Victory, but first time on this ship!

• 7 months later...
After visiting the museum, we walked farther down the boardwalk. I had thought about booking a harbor tour, but most of the available times were sold out. Instead, we went to Stayner’s Wharf – a good restaurant where we knew we could find food the kids liked and Keith’s Ale on tap. It did not disappoint. Two pints of Keith’s for DH and I and several plates of fish and clams later, we headed back down the boardwalk. We stopped off at the Acadia, a 100 year-old hydrographic ship available for tours for museum visitors – she’s a beautiful ship.

2893533760094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

Acadia's stern

2667551760094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

Mom and boys aboard Acadia

2310693840094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

Acadia's Wheelhouse

Then we headed back to the ship, taking a fair number of harbor pictures along the way.

2432843700094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

Theodore Too. This was youngest son's choice for a harbor tour several years ago. It's a great tour for kids.

2239763200094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

Cable Wharf

2945250970094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

Ketch in Halifax harbor

Thank you for all the kind words you said about the people of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. I was born in Moncton, New Brunwick and I attended the University of New Brunswick in Saint John. The scenery is amazing...if you ever get a chance, visit Fundy Park and the Hopewell Rocks. They are about a one hour drive from Saint John.

Thank you for all the kind words you said about the people of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. I was born in Moncton, New Brunwick and I attended the University of New Brunswick in Saint John. The scenery is amazing...if you ever get a chance, visit Fundy Park and the Hopewell Rocks. They are about a one hour drive from Saint John.
Thank you for the suggestions! I know we'll be back in NB (hopefully on an early August cruise). DH and I have talked about doing a land-based vacation sometime; my college roommate did a loop from New Jersey through the Maritimes, then through Quebec and back to the US - she loved it.

• 5 weeks later...
Just today I booked the 7-day for October 2013 and decided I'd better find some reviews. :D Just got started on yours and am enjoying it so far--I'll have to read the rest after work today. :o

Thanks for taking the time to write it and include pics!

Thanks for reading! It was a great cruise and Glory is a very nice ship. I see you're doing the Baltics cruise on Legend next June - We're looking at the July 3 sailing. Next year son graduates from college and it's our 30th wedding anniversary.

Thanks for reading! It was a great cruise and Glory is a very nice ship. I see you're doing the Baltics cruise on Legend next June - We're looking at the July 3 sailing. Next year son graduates from college and it's our 30th wedding anniversary.

Yes, we're so looking forward to it. DD graduates from HS and I have sabbatical from work. We'll be spending three weeks post-cruise primarily in Germany. We've got a great roll call going with lots of planning already being done. :D Congratulations on your 30th! And your son's graduation. :D

Loved your pictures and review. I live in Saint John, and you captured the area prefect. The people of Saint John just love having cruise pasengers visit our city. Thank you for sharing..

Loved your pictures and review. I live in Saint John, and you captured the area prefect. The people of Saint John just love having cruise pasengers visit our city. Thank you for sharing..
We're looking forward to returning to Saint John in August.:)

• 1 month later...
I've uploaded photos and written the review, so it's time to get this review underway! Between DH and I, we took over 400 photos; if you'd like to see the complete collection, they're posted at http://travel.webshots.com/album/580491047UDbmCc. Needless to say, I'm not including all of them in this review.;) And since this was our third cruise on Glory, our photos of Glory's public areas are somewhat limited since we've photographed them before. I'd invite you to check out our other albums at http://travel.webshots.com/album/578554480iaclpc and http://travel.webshots.com/album/570432541qGWcoi if you'd like to see more of Glory and less of scenery.:p

About us – Sailing were DH and I, both in our 50s, and our two younger sons, 15 and 11. Oldest son is 20 and a student at the US Merchant Marine Academy, learning to become a ship’s engineering officer. He’s on his own cruise – as part of his studies he has to spend 300 days at sea, so since the beginning of March he has been sailing around the Middle East on a car carrier ship. This is after spending last summer sailing on a tanker in the South China Sea. Not very glamorous, but he’s had the chance to see ports that a lot of us will never see. He’s not sure yet, but he may be able to do a tour on NCL’s Pride of America, sailing around Hawaii, in September. That might make up for months in the Middle East.

2252349310094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

Son on his South China Sea cruise

This was our 14th cruise, all on Carnival, and our sixth cruise to Canada from New York. Why Canada? It’s an easy cruise for us, and we really enjoy visiting Saint John and Halifax – two of the friendliest ports you’ll ever visit. It does have a different feel than a Caribbean cruise – you’re not going to find swimming beaches and rum drinks – but it has beautiful coasts and activities like whale watching and visiting fishing villages. Great seafood. And in Saint John you can get Moosehead on tap and in Halifax you can get Alexander Keith’s on tap.

2033823410094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

Keith's on tap.

It makes up for the lack of rum drinks. And if you really want a rum drink, Carnival is more than happy to provide. We really enjoy Canada cruises.

Thank you SO MUCH for all of this information! The pictures are especially very helpful. Canada is actually the most ideal cruise for me and my husband, since we are both not really into bathing suits or beaches :P We both adore the fall during peak foliage, and jumped at the chance to see some of the New England states that we have yet to visit.

Thank you SO MUCH for all of this information! The pictures are especially very helpful. Canada is actually the most ideal cruise for me and my husband, since we are both not really into bathing suits or beaches :P We both adore the fall during peak foliage, and jumped at the chance to see some of the New England states that we have yet to visit.
You're very welcome! I love this itinerary; we'll be sailing it again in August.

Great review and pictures! I am doing this trip out of Boston on 7/2 this year and reading about it in your review makes me even more excited! I can't wait!

Thanks for a great review.

Great review, Kathy! Kristi we're on the same trip as you and I can hardly wait.

Sue

For those who have sailed the Canada/New England trip, how would you say the excursions are? Are there ports where we can simply do our own thing, or are excursions going to be necessary for both transportation and fun? I would prefer to do some exploring on my own if possible :)

For those who have sailed the Canada/New England trip, how would you say the excursions are? Are there ports where we can simply do our own thing, or are excursions going to be necessary for both transportation and fun? I would prefer to do some exploring on my own if possible :)
While we have done excursions, most of the time we go on our own. In Halifax, there's a lot within walking distance of the ship - boat tours, the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, the Citadel (a harder walk since it's uphill, but doable), Alexander Keith's Brewery. In Saint John, you can walk along the Harbour Passage and, if you're up to the hike, walk to Reversing Rapids. Or you can just take a cab there. (They had parts of Harbour Passage closed for a time for construction - not sure if it's open now.) Check out the Canada board under "Ports of Call"; there are a couple of local folks who have some great suggestions.

• 2 months later...

Archived