Cruise Cancellation due to birth of grandchild

samspade99

We are scheduled to go on a cruise in a month and bought travel insurance with the cruise. Our children who have been trying to adopt a child for the last two years just found out that they have a child which will be born when we are supposed to be on the the trip. We contacted our agent who then contacted the insurance company about cancelling our trip. We were told that this is not covered under the trip cancellation portion of the policy. Normal birth is not a covered expense. Any ideas for how we can get our money back or a credit or ???

Sorry but that is not a covered expense and if you want to cancel you will lose the percentage under penalty phase. Suggest if you are going to cancel that you do it while you can still retain some of the $ or if it gets too close you will lose 100%. If it's only a 7 day cruise why don't you just go on your cruise and allow your children the private bonding time before overwhelming the child with all the visitors. Yes that is only my opinion so don't flame me.

I agree, this will not be covered by any insurance. It will have to come down to either cancelling now and taking the 50% or 75% hit. Remember also, that unless this is a scheduled surgical birth, babies don't always show up when they are supposed to.

I happen to like Patseascruiser's advice; we did not meet our adopted niece until a week later, although her Mom and Dad did get to be there for her birth. They needed that time to bond, and the rest of the family inundated them later when they were ready for babysitting and a few hours extra sleep. If that is not your family's choice, fine, but it is the only way I know of to save the money.

If you purchased the cancel for any reason option, you can get most of your money back.

I'd say go on your cruise and buy an Internet package on the ship and keep in touch and see pictures that way. I think the new family would enjoy their bonding time.

...Remember also, that unless this is a scheduled surgical birth, babies don't always show up when they are supposed to...

Even scheduled births can change due to the condition of the mother or baby.

Archived