Cunard newbie questions

Wordzz

Hi there, Cunard experts!

To celebrate significant birthdays for us both, my wife and I are planning a Westbound TA in the summer of 2012 on the QM2. However, we are new to Cunard (and pretty new to cruising) so have some questions.

We can go any month, but I've done some research, and we are leaning towards June, in terms of likely weather/seas, missing peak holiday season, etc. I know that weather and sea conditions are completely unpredictable, but on balance is June usually a reasonable month for a TA? Or would you recommend a different month?

Is a balcony worthwhile on a TA? If so, is a sheltered balcony a better bet than an 'open' balcony? Or should we just go with an oceanview?

As we're doing Westbound, I guess a stateroom on the port side will give us more sun (assuming there is any of course! )?

Are there any decks that are best avoided if we have a choice? It looks as if deck 8, for example, has mostly obstructed views?

Sorry there are so many questions - thanks so much for taking the time to answer! And if I have missed obvious info in my search, please feel free to direct me to useful links. Thank you!

We sailed on westbound TAs in June and August. The weather was similar for both. I believe it's more the luck of the draw as far as weather goes for a summer crossing.

We had a sheltered balcony (B3) for both. One was port, one was starboard. It was nice in that we propped the balcony door open at night so we had fresh air and sea sounds as we slept. As far as the sunny side, we were in the room so little time it really didn't matter.

We picked rooms that were between the C & D staircases as we found it made it easier to make a quick stop back in the room after meals or to grab (drop off) a sweater or jacket.

Our first TA was to celebrate a special anniversary. We planned the trip a year in advance. We enjoyed it so much we did another one less than a year later. And a 2012 crossing is already being discussed. You'll have a great time.

Is a balcony worthwhile on a TA? If so, is a sheltered balcony a better bet than an 'open' balcony? Or should we just go with an oceanview?

I think an "open" balcony is worthwhile on a TA. I can tell you from experience that it was lovely to open the curtains in the morning, get back into bed, and watch the ocean go by. Also it was nice to be able to go out on the balcony and take in the view before dinner.

As we're doing Westbound, I guess a stateroom on the port side will give us more sun (assuming there is any of course! )?

We picked a cabin on the port side for our Westbound TA for two reasons. Firstly because it was supposed to be sunnier than starboard (and it was), and secondly, because we knew we would be able to see the Statue of Liberty from our balcony when we entered New York harbour in the morning.

If it's your first TA than I would recommend a port side cabin.

Just wanted to come back and say that we have now booked passage for June 2012, in a midship sheltered balcony s/r on deck 5, port side (we are Westbound). Very excited! Thanks again for the help and advice. Just got to decide how many days to spend in NYC now (our first ever visit).....

I've done a TA in August and one in January, The weather was really bad in January didn't go out for 8 days lol. I always go for a sheltered balcony on QM2 even when we did the first leg of the world cruise earlier this year we went for sheltered balcony on deck 4 although it's not used much on a TA it is nice to stand out there for a while now and then, I also trimmed my boyfriends hair out there somewhere in the south Atlantic.

Archived