DIY Stockholm

I am trying to put together an itinerary for our visit next month on the Celebrity Eclipse. We will be docking at Stadsgarden. My plan is to take bus 76 over towards the Vasa (getting off at Djurgårdsbron). After that we will catch bus 76 back towards Gamla Stan for a wander around, a look at the Royal Palace etc. before catching the bus back to the port. I have decided against the HOHO boats as the buses are presumably more frequent and bus 76 seems to go exactly where I want. My questions are:

1) Does this seem a sensible itinerary?

2) How do we go about buying the tickets for the bus - I am thinking of buying the 24hr SL Tourist Card for ease.

3) Has anyone caught bus 76 from Stadsgarden - can you offer any help re:directions to the ticket office/bus stop.

4) What is the name of the bus stop to get off for Gamla Stan?

Thanks all:)

I am trying to put together an itinerary for our visit next month on the Celebrity Eclipse. We will be docking at Stadsgarden. My plan is to take bus 76 over towards the Vasa (getting off at Djurgårdsbron). After that we will catch bus 76 back towards Gamla Stan for a wander around, a look at the Royal Palace etc. before catching the bus back to the port. I have decided against the HOHO boats as the buses are presumably more frequent and bus 76 seems to go exactly where I want. My questions are:

1) Does this seem a sensible itinerary?

2) How do we go about buying the tickets for the bus - I am thinking of buying the 24hr SL Tourist Card for ease.

3) Has anyone caught bus 76 from Stadsgarden - can you offer any help re:directions to the ticket office/bus stop.

Hi and welcome to Stockholm! It sounds ok your trip planning with the bus 76. But it can be difficult for you to buy the travelcard - buses do not sell and I doubt that there is a center where you can prebuy it close to the ship. But it is only 15-20 min walk straight ahead to Underground and bus stop Slussen. There you can buy it. Awfully expensive to buy single faretickets and most buses do not sell. Also check out the website for public transport http://www.sl.se (They have an english version.) I think the stop in the old town is just old town.

I hope that I could help you out a little bit. /chris 58

I can't help you with the facts about buying a ticket, as we docked on a Sunday and the 76 bus doesn't run on that day.

As for your itinerary, it is perfect. We used the HoHo bus, but we had the same itinerary planned. Get to Vasa as early as you can. I believe it is open at 8:30 now. Plan on spending a couple of hours there and make sure you view the movie. They have guided tours if you so wish, and make a stop at the gift shop. many wonderful things there.

How you decide to get to Gamla Stan is up for others to help you on, but that should be your next stop. From there you can tour the Palace if you so desire, watch the Changing of the Guard ceremony and then just wander around Gamla Stan. It is just a marvelous section with some streets teeming with people while others have barely a soul. That is part of the fun, to explore, find some little shop to buy some things. We found this wonderful linen shop where my DW bought several linen type calendars,as gifts. No one else had found anything like this. There is also the Noble Museum if you so wish and many charming restaurants.

Here are a few pics of Stockholm for you to enjoy

A model of the Vasa, just a wonderful place to visit

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1215.jpg

bridge going to the Vasa Museum

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1235.jpg

The Royal Palace at the beginning of Gamla Stan

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1241.jpg

Changing of the Guard ceremony

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1306.jpg

Gamla Stan has many places to just sit and enjoy the day

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1265.jpg

Some of the narrow cobblestone streets to explore

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1268.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Cheers

Len

The names of the #76 bus stops are:

Slottsbacken (meaning palace hill) in north part of Gamla Stan near the palace

Räntmästartrappan (meaning treasurer's stairs) in south part of Gamla Stan near the Djurgården ferry.

Thanks everyone. I think we will try and buy 24hr bus tickets at the kiosk I have been reading about (when you get off the ship). If not we will walk towards Slussen and get them there. Thanks again everyone:)

Just to make sure you are clear, you can't get bus 76 from Stadgården. You will have to get it from Slussen. You can also buy the 24 hour card at Slussen. I think they also sell the 24 hr. card at the kiosk at the dock before you leave the security area.

Al

We just got back from the Baltics on the Eclipse.

Just a warning - the ship can change the port it docks at last minute. So make sure you know which one it is when you get off! They told us on the morning we docked that the port had changed, some of us didn't get the message!

• 2 weeks later...

We're doing a similar itinerary to the one posted above. Our Princess ship appears to dock at Stadsgarden. As a family of four and given our limited time in Stockholm, I thought we'd take a taxi to Vasa, rather than walk 20 minutes to a bus and make a couple of connections. How much should we expect to pay for a taxi?

Perhaps we could take the bus back into town (Gamla Stan) -- looks like we'd take the 44 transferring to a 76 once we get off the island. And Gamla Stan back to the terminal looks walkable. Does this make sense?

Although I've read a couple of posts about time being at a premium in Stockholm, we're due to be in port from 7:00 to 4:00. Can we see both Vasa and Gamla Stan without a problem?

Thank you for your help!

Archived