Snorkeling with kids

kajasmin

Thinking about snorkeling with Marvin's. We have a 4 year old and a 7 year old. I've been snorkeling in the Keys, how choppy is the water usually in GC? Will the kids be okay with life jackets on?

Also ask the Captain if they have snorkel masks sized for young children. My 7yo daughter (many years ago as she is now the mother of a 9 yo) had great troubles with the mask leaking. If you take the children it might be worthwhile to take the mask that fits them with you. If the child can't snorkel because of the mask then no one gets as much fun. We did snorkel with our kids at those ages (?maybe not 4 but before 8) and it was great fun. snorkel vest is great for everyone as it "smoothes" out the ride and causes you to rock less. Don't forget rash shirts as the sun is strong and you spend your time face down looking and can get a super sun burn. Enjoy.

if your kids are already VERY comfortable with the snorkel and mask this MIGHT work.

My DD was 7 & very comfortable in the pool at home (Miami) when I took her on a father/daughter bonding trip to snorkel in the Keys.

And then she saw her first fish larger then her little finger and there was this amazing walking on water scene as she returned to the boat. She'd seen big fish in aquariums .... but realized there was no glass here . . . (p.s. it was a 3 foot 'cuda)

It CAN work ... but for 99 out of 100 I'd say bad idea and you will waste your money. p.s. she loves SCUBA now . . .

Archived