High and Low Water Challenges on Avalon

cruisealert

Next summer (August 2012) my wife and I are taking an Avalon cruise from Basel to Vienna. Is there any non-biased source that keeps track of how often certain ships, certain rivers, or certain itineraries are prone to off-loading passengers onto buses when water is too high or too low. Does it happen a lot. Are the newer ships more or less prone to have these problems?

We have cruised a lot but this is our first river cruise. We are excited, but concerned about water-level issues.

Next summer (August 2012) my wife and I are taking an Avalon cruise from Basel to Vienna. Is there any non-biased source that keeps track of how often certain ships, certain rivers, or certain itineraries are prone to off-loading passengers onto buses when water is too high or too low. Does it happen a lot. Are the newer ships more or less prone to have these problems?

We have cruised a lot but this is our first river cruise. We are excited, but concerned about water-level issues.

Not sure what you mean by non biased source as this is a totally random problem. We had to leave ports early last December due to excessive amount of snow melting and raising water levels.

Age of ship really is not relevant as it is the route and height or bridges along the route that make the decision to be able to sail or not sail or to alter sailing time. Older boats may not have the bridges that can be lowered a bit to make a pass under a bridge but I am not sure how big an issue this is in reality.

Hi there,

I would like to know how the Rhine river levels are at this time. I will be cruising with Avalon Basel to Amsterdam this July 31st. I can't seem to find any information. The last thread regarding this topic seemed to die off a couple weeks ago.

Is there anyone who can report on current Rhine river levels?

Thank you.

Sandy

Hi there,

I would like to know how the Rhine river levels are at this time. I will be cruising with Avalon Basel to Amsterdam this July 31st. I can't seem to find any information. The last thread regarding this topic seemed to die off a couple weeks ago.

Thank you.

Sandy

Will Avalon or your travel agent give you an indication?

Thanks Cruisealert and Ohio lady, could you answer a couple of questions. I am trying to eat a lower calorie lower sodium diet. Are there many healthy options at lunch and anything other than chicken at dinner? Did you go to the ships' fitness room and did they have a scale in it?

Did you buy the all day tram pass at the station? Did your room at the Movenpick include breakfast?

What cities did you have the most free time in?

Thanks for any other details you have time to provide. I am away from home so if my documents have arrived I haven't been able to look at them yet.

Sandy

Hi there,

Thank you.

Sandy

I believe this is what you are looking for....

http://www.bafg.de/cln_033/nn_178640/EN/06__Info__Service/01__WaterLevels/waterlevels__node.html?__nnn=true

49er

As mentioned already the age of a ship is not really the main issue. Rather its height and draft are important. The draft for low water, the height due to some bridges crossing the rivers. As newer ships are often more comfortable then older ships they are bigger. Due to the size of lock chambers they can't be wider (usually 38 feet). But as far as I remember the age of ships did not really matter this spring when we got extraordinary low river levels on the Main / Rhine / Danube. They all were able to pass or they all got stuck ;)

And again, river levels are hard to predict, but for the next 2 weeks I am optimistic. It rained several times the last few weeks and according to the websites all levels are average at the moment. Does not look as if you get delayed somewhere.

Have a great cruise!

Archived