3-wheel scooters not welcome?

KL&KR

I was looking through tours to the Pacific Cultural Center on Oahu, and noticed that their bus will not accept a person on a 3-wheel scooter. Only 4-wheel scooters are allowed. Has anyone noticed this elsewhere? Is this becoming more common? Are Disability laws changing? Thanks!

Kristen

Although DH and I rented a car and drove to the Pacific Cultural Center, I and my Travelscoot (3 wheels) were met with no problems/issues of any kind. On the other hand the drive there was infinitely more interesting and massively less expensive than PCC.

We found it boring and hugely overpriced. Do not recommend.

Marlee

Marlee--Thank you for the report! We have been to the PCC before, but only in the afternoon, and are trying to figure out a way to catch the evening show this next time without being late back to the ship.

Do you need to ride on the scooter in the bus, or can you transfer to a seat and put the scooter in the luggage bay? I suspect their rule about 3 wheeled scooters on the buses has to do with the significantly more "tippy" and unstable status of a 3 wheeled vs. 4 wheeled scooter. Once you get to the park, there should be no issue. I would call them and discuss this issue related to the above.

She usually rides it totally (she transfers when necessary, but it's always painful).

My suspicion was the "tippability" of the 3-wheel scooters, also--we saw one woman go head-first in Skagway on a scooter she had rented, when she hit a gutter-like depression in the street at a wrong angle.

Thanks for the idea about negotiating the issue--Kathy's a pretty seasoned scooter-user; she might be able to convince them she can deal with the instability factor.

Kristen

Archived