TV Show...Drydock: A Cruise Ship Reborn

Looks like the GreenHD channel will be airing a several episode program this Thursday 7/14 about the Sovereign of the Seas at drydock.

I remember the show from a few years ago. It was very interesting. This show is what made me vow never to sail right before or after a drydock. You will get a great appreciation for the amount of work they do in such a restricted timeframe.

Looks like the GreenHD channel will be airing a several episode program this Thursday 7/14 about the Sovereign of the Seas at drydock.

What's the greenHD channel :confused: What time is it on?

I remember the show from a few years ago. It was very interesting. This show is what made me vow never to sail right before or after a drydock. You will get a great appreciation for the amount of work they do in such a restricted timeframe.

Having done the Radiance cruise just prior to dry-dock, I have to ask why won't you cruise pre dry-dock. The entire week the only thing we noticed were IT guys running cable for the Wi-Fi system.

10 a.m. Texas Time (CST) on Direct TV Channel 286-Have my DVR set to record it

ATT Uverse in Houston it is 1465 or 465 for non HD folks...

Also seem to have building of Freedom right after the 5 shows on Radiance.

Having done the Radiance cruise just prior to dry-dock, I have to ask why won't you cruise pre dry-dock. The entire week the only thing we noticed were IT guys running cable for the Wi-Fi system.

While I have never experienced it myself (wouldn't do it), I have friends and colleagues do it who have complained about crew starting work a day or two before the cruise finished - tearing up carpets, closing areas, etc. Same thing right after the drydock cruises - areas remain closed as they finish work, sometimes the bugs aren't worked out, etc.

It has been a common enough thing, that I am sure it isn't a good idea. The more ambitious the drydock, the more likely they have to get a head start or cant finish on time.

They also showed it on Radiance in December. Best thing about that is no commercials. I do agree about avoiding booking a cruise immediately after though. But it does show the incredible amount of details involved.

Missed the first two episodes. Caught the start of episode 3 while channel surfing and watched the last 3 episodes. Very interesting to see the process and how chaotic it is. So is all the work done by regular crew members? Did the crew get paid extra during drydock? (Excluding the smokers who skipped work after lunch.)

A episode about Freedom's construction came on afterwards, but I wan't able to stay and watch, so I don't know how that episode went.

Archived