Balcony worth it on port intensive itinerary?

globalhoneymooning

DH and I are booked for QV with 2 small kids in D2 (only cat that accommodates 4 people). My father and companion will be joining us so I'm debating whether to move one of my children to his room so we can get an oceanview or balcony. We did a balcony room last year for Alaska since it's such a scenic cruise (sailed through Glacier Bay) but not sure how much we would use it with all the ports we have on QV. The QV sailing is 12 nights/2 sea days so DH is leaning towards inside room. Is it worth the money to get the oceanview or balcony of this itinerary? Cat D2 is a decent size inside room on deck 1, will it be noisy so low on the ship? Typically we get rooms on higher decks.

We went on a port intensive cruise on the QV about 3 years ago around the Eastern Med ( pretty much one port a day ). I'd say it was worth having. It was really good to sit on the balcony with a drinkie when leaving Valletta and Istanbul at night ( just two examples ).

If you're travelng with two small kids, I expect that your days in port would have to be short for their sakes. It might be nice to have to balcony to sit on during an afternoon in port. I don't know where your cruise will be, so I can't tell what the ports will be like. They could be container ports or they could be very pretty, and nice to gaze at from your balcony while the kids rest or take a nap.

DH and I are booked for QV with 2 small kids in D2 (only cat that accommodates 4 people). My father and companion will be joining us so I'm debating whether to move one of my children to his room so we can get an oceanview or balcony. We did a balcony room last year for Alaska since it's such a scenic cruise (sailed through Glacier Bay) but not sure how much we would use it with all the ports we have on QV. The QV sailing is 12 nights/2 sea days so DH is leaning towards inside room. Is it worth the money to get the oceanview or balcony of this itinerary? Cat D2 is a decent size inside room on deck 1, will it be noisy so low on the ship? Typically we get rooms on higher decks.

Hi globalhoneymooning. Sorry, I'm confused by your question. You wrote that your father and his compaion will be joining you, but you didn't mention what category they booked. Does your father and his companion have any say about whether or not you move one of your children to his cabin? If so, perhaps it is best to discuss it with him and his companion?

If he has booked a balcony cabin, there might be times when he and his companion will invite you, your husband and your 2 small children to enjoy the balcony. Four adults and two kids might be a tight fit, but maybe someone iin your party booked a Grills Suite? - In which case, you will have plenty of room :)

Salacia

I was really paranoid about our kids climbing over the balcony, so I avoided balcony cabins when they were young. That being said, if your 2 are not likely to try to plummet, balcony cabins are great on port intensive trips. I love to sit out on the balcony and watch the ship sail into harbour in the mornings, and the sailaway is also good to watch from your own little space away from the crowds. The QV is a beautiful ship - have a great trip!

I was really paranoid about our kids climbing over the balcony, so I avoided balcony cabins when they were young. That being said, if your 2 are not likely to try to plummet, balcony cabins are great on port intensive trips. I love to sit out on the balcony and watch the ship sail into harbour in the mornings, and the sailaway is also good to watch from your own little space away from the crowds. The QV is a beautiful ship - have a great trip!

Hi Safarigal. I don't think you were being paranoid, I think you were acting as a responsible parent.:)

Salacia, my father and companion are staying in a D2 inside deck 1 room (same as we are currently booked in) and Cunard indicated I could split my party to get an oceanview/balcony room which has a limit of 3 passengers. My father is fine with this.

Safarigal, do you know what the balconies on QV look like? Glass all the way across, narrow slotted railing, etc?

Since the port days will be long and we're travelling with family, DH thinks we won't spend as much time in our room as we did on our Alaska cruise (balcony rm) when it was just us and 2 kids (2.5y and 9m at the time) but rather out in public areas as a group. Our children have done a decent amount of long distance travel and many weekend trips so they are accustomed to long days out exploring. We plan to bring our Ergo carrier in case they want to nap while in port.

Safarigal, do you know what the balconies on QV look like? Glass all the way across, narrow slotted railing, etc?

The majority of the balconies are glass all the way across, except for a few cabins nearer the bow which are metal fronted. No narrow slotted railings. I can't get my computer to insert the photo as such, but here is a photo of our balcony on QE, it was identical to our one on QV:

http://gallery.me.com/lesleyblake#100759/P1100959&bgcolor=black

Our QV photos are at

http://gallery.me.com/lesleyblake#100381&bgcolor=black&view=grid

and you can see just see the balcony in some of the photos of our cabin. We had a PG cabin, but the Britannia balconies are similar.

One of my husband's favorite things about cruises is the arrival and departure from ports. I bet your kids would enjoy it also, and they won't be able to see it from the decks. It's a lovely distraction for the kids.

However, your Dad's companion should be consulted and asked to be frank. Your Dad might love his grandkids, but his companion might resent loss of privacy or being a part-time sitter.

I hope you get everyone's approval and get the pleasure of a balcony.

One of my husband's favorite things about cruises is the arrival and departure from ports. I bet your kids would enjoy it also, and they won't be able to see it from the decks. It's a lovely distraction for the kids.

However, your Dad's companion should be consulted and asked to be frank. Your Dad might love his grandkids, but his companion might resent loss of privacy or being a part-time sitter.

I hope you get everyone's approval and get the pleasure of a balcony.

Assuming that the companion is a lady, I think that she might resent being called Frank.:)

Archived