Ravenna hotel recommendation?

libby58

In 2007, we had a very nice stay at Hotel Bisanzio Ravenna (Via Salara, 30) This is a hotel in the Best Western chain. It's clean, well-run, serves a very nice breakfast, and, above all has a great location. We were about 1 1/2 blocks off a pedestrianized street for pleasant evening strolls, and a short walk to the in-town churches for our day time touring.

Once I'm at it, I'll throw in some restaurant recommendations, too.

Dinner the first night: Across the street from the hotel, you'll find Ristorante del Tempo Perso (Restaurant of Lost Time). I don't know whether this refers to the improvisational jazz that both decorates the place or is playing in the background or whether it refers to whiling away the time drinking selections from the wine bottle filled shelves. If we had known we were going to be served a free appetizer, we would not have ordered antipasti. The free dish was large cubes of seared, marinated tuna. A generous portion and delicious preparation. The menu offers equal choices between the richer preparations of Emilia-Romagna and the seafood from the Adriatic.

We ate a delicious lunch at Ristorante Bella Venezia: (Via IV Novembre). This is not the place to eat if you want outdoor seating in the piazza. However, it is the place to go since, according to our guide, it makes the best home-made pasta in Ravenna. This restaurant was our introduction to the fresh egg pasta of Emilia-Romagna and the results were lovely. It was also our introduction to culatello, a delicious proscuitto-type meat made from the tenderloin.

The second night, we ate at Antica Trattoria al Gallo. This restaurant is located outside the historic center on Via Maggiore. It is off the maps that you’ll be given by most hotels, but don't worry about distances. It's an easy walk -- not far outside the gate at the end of the pedestrian street, Via Cavour. In fact, the best way to think of its location is that Via Maggiore is, essentially, a large traffic-carrying extension of Via Cavour. (With your back to the historic center, the restaurant is on the right side of Via Maggiore) You have to ring a bell at the door that fronts on the street to be admitted to the restaurant. I can't imagine why; there's certainly no crime issue in this part of town.

I have friends visiting Ravello next week for a few days and they are staying at Palazzo Sasso. It looks wonderful on the website. They have dinner reservations at Rosselini's at the Palazzo Sasso and also at Cumpa Cosimo one evening. Have a fabulous time!

We stayed at Hotel Centrale Byron, and I would not recommend it. The rooms are tiny, and you must get a new internet code every 2 hours. They were very nice with a great breakfast and were very cheap and centrally located, so if the above issues wouldn't bother you, you might consider it. It was just wayyyy too small for us.

Archived