Oasis/Allure Headed to Key West in the Future?

Discussions have only just begun in Key West on this matter. Some locals are opposed for environmental reasons and others are opposed because they believe cruise ship passnegrs do not spend much money while in port at the same time that they crowd streets and sidewalks.

Some say the revenue goes mainly to Old Town business and New Town reaps few economic benefits, but its residents suffer the inconveniences of so much passenger traffic.

When ships the size of Carnival Liberty are in town, especially with another ship of similar size the same day, sidewalks can get very crowded. But I simply cannot believe these passengers don't bring substantial revenue to Key West. Just the tours alone that they book, even without trips to Key West's famous bars and eating places and the souvenier shops must benefit greatly. These tour companies provide employment.

I would like to see bigger ships, perhaps Explorer Class ships, dock at Key West, but I cannot concieve of an Allure or Oasis there. The impact of 6000 passengers plus the Carnival ships in port would indeed be significant. On a busy ship day in port, some stores near the Westin dock can get so

crowded, it can be claustrophobic. That's now. What if Oasis arrives?

But even if the Key West city council agrees to move ahead with this project, it will takes years of environmental impact studies, engineering studies, docking infrastructure, financing and so on before this actually happens...if it ever happens.

Just came across this article on a cruise ship "hate" site discussing the possibility that Key West may dredge in order to get big ships like Oasis in.

I've heard the local buzz about channel dredging, but I haven't heard anything about accomodating Oasis Class.

I have a real hard time wrapping my head around this. Currently, the largest ship class in RCI that can visit Key West is Radiance Class. The main ship channel approaching the island is 7 miles long and the Key West Harbor turning basin is only so big, part of which is bordered by an island called Sunset Key. Even with the basin it's current size, the bouys have been struck by turning cruise ships. I know Enchantment has hit them once or twice.

Another issue is the width of Oasis class. The width of that ship while moored would put it awfully close to the main channel going further in to the harbor. Military ships and the occassional fuel tanker would have to come uncomfortably close. Again, that part can't be widened due to Sunset Key.

This would be a massive project and I just don't see it happening.

As for the protestors, yes, there are folks here in KW who would oppose it. There is a very vocal group, though minority as they are, that oppose anything cruise ship related.

While in KW in June after our Allure cruise, I was pondering the same thing, KW is a LOVELY and beautiful place, but we were there with 2 CCL ships docked and man it was crazy busy, I can only imagine what it would be like with a ship the size of the Allure and one more ship in dock.............:eek: There are so many more places in the Caribbean to target an Oasis class ship then KW doing this, I personally hope it does not happen.............

I've heard the local buzz about channel dredging, but I haven't heard anything about accomodating Oasis Class.

I have a real hard time wrapping my head around this. Currently, the largest ship class in RCI that can visit Key West is Radiance Class. The main ship channel approaching the island is 7 miles long and the Key West Harbor turning basin is only so big, part of which is bordered by an island called Sunset Key. Even with the basin it's current size, the bouys have been struck by turning cruise ships. I know Enchantment has hit them once or twice.

Another issue is the width of Oasis class. The width of that ship while moored would put it awfully close to the main channel going further in to the harbor. Military ships and the occassional fuel tanker would have to come uncomfortably close. Again, that part can't be widened due to Sunset Key.

This would be a massive project and I just don't see it happening.

As for the protestors, yes, there are folks here in KW who would oppose it. There is a very vocal group, though minority as they are, that oppose anything cruise ship related.

But Oasis could be docked port side to Key West and starboard side to Sunset Key at the same time, providing two port stops in one and they could allow people just to walk over (for a fee). ;):p:D

Keep in mind the source or the article. I found it on a site that is very anti-cruise ship, so his mention of the Oasis class could just be him listing the largest cruise ship out there to make it sound as bad as possible.

Keep in mind the source or the article. I found it on a site that is very anti-cruise ship, so his mention of the Oasis class could just be him listing the largest cruise ship out there to make it sound as bad as possible.

Yea, that makes sense. Through my local contacts, I got some more information on this today. The city of Key West is proposing a dredging project to allow larger ships. They are using the Panama Canal enlargement project as a basis for this proposal. However, the proposal does not allow for Oasis Class. They are looking to allow somewhat longer ships, but not much wider. This may allow for Voyager Class, Dream Class, etc, but I don't think much bigger.

There is push-back with concern of downtown congestion and frankly, I can't really argue against that.

Archived