Mobile future

blwms

Any info/rumors as to the future of the Mobile cruise terminal after Carnival leaves this fall? Sure would love to see another ship there!

I live here and I'm hoping that we don't get another one. Having to use the I-10 tunnels on a regular basis and fight that freakin world class bottle neck that some engineering genius thought was a good idea back in the 70's, I'm hoping that Aldot will build the long talked about bridge over the river to take traffic away from the tunnels. Traffic has progressively gotten worse over the years and recently the problems seem to have exploded exponentially causing hour long backups on the interstate in both directions. A bridge will just about render the cruise terminal useless because of height restrictions for ships, but we need the highway more than a cruise ship. Sorry.

The mayor is going to Miami to talk to an unidentified cruise line this week about getting another ship in the future. A lot of people do want to keep a ship in Mobile.

The horse has left the barn because the mayor and his buddies fell asleep and left the door open. It ain't coming back!! Of all the cruise lines, Carnival seems the most likely to try something new. If they are kicking Mobile to the curb, I don't see the rest very likely to line up and want to sail from here. The only likely scenario I see of Mobile having a cruise ship call is if something catastrophic happens in NOLA and all the ships there are scrambling for an open berth somewhere.

Mobile government screwed up. Hopefully, RCCL would consider coming to Mobile. The best bet for Mobile would be to get another cruise line and work out some package deals with hotels, cruise, air to generate more revenue and jobs for the area. There is plenty of potential with the right person planning!

Mobile government screwed up. Hopefully, RCCL would consider coming to Mobile. The best bet for Mobile would be to get another cruise line and work out some package deals with hotels, cruise, air to generate more revenue and jobs for the area. There is plenty of potential with the right person planning!

That's the crux of the whole problem. We have the Three Stooges running the show with Laurel and Hardy as their sidekicks and Al Bundy cheering them on.

Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Carnival is charging higher fares to sail out of Mobile on the Elation than they are charging to sail on the Elation out of New Orleans. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Carnival say that one of the reasons they were moving the Elation to N.O. was because the only way they could fill the ship out of Mobile was to lower the fares? I'm not sure that I will sail Carnival again. Royal Caribbean here we come in Oct.!

Claiming they had to lower fares was just the excuse. Now they can pay one terminal staff to handle more cruises and save $$. And that's not the only savings the pencil pushers identified i'm sure. Not saying it's wrong to maximize profits, just upset they had to put the PR spin on it. Having sailed out of several ports, I can understand, and no, Mobile's facilities were not the nicest nor most convenient. However, avoiding the madness of a Miami with numerous ships in port and navigating from the airport to the crowded port was a relaxing and nice change of pace when boarding in Mobile. :)

The mayor is going to Miami to talk to an unidentified cruise line this week about getting another ship in the future. A lot of people do want to keep a ship in Mobile.

Was in Orange Beach, AL last week, the local news stated that the mayor spoke with RCCL and NCL about coming to Mobile. No other details were given. Hope someone comes in, it is so convenient to sail from Mobile

Archived