Whatever happened to the early booking price guarantee?

I thought that those who booked early to cruise were guaranteed the lowest prices.

These days with last minute discounts for new bookings only, and different category discounts and penalties for cancellations - it seems like early booking is a really bad idea.

Even sold out cruises seem to get availability around final payment date.

Plus, many cruise lines seem to offer a similar product.

Does anyone else see a trend where it is more advantageous to shop for a cruise after final payment when the last low discounts become available?

You may not get first pick of cabins, but it looks like you could save a bundle

AM I missing something? Why are cruise lines making it so much worse to book early?

Does anyone else feel that it is unfair to pay more for your cabin when you booked months in advance than the person that decided at the last minute?

Carnival offers an early booking incentive. You can get any price drops up to 72 hours of sailing (maybe it's 24 hours). The flip side is that any changes to the reservation will cost $50pp and if you cancel, you lose your deposit.

I don't really have a problem with last minute cruisers getting a better rate than I do. We book at a price that we think is fair, and if somebody gets a better price, more power to them.

If I lived within driving distance of a port (well, I do, but there's no RCI ship sailing from it), I might become a last minute traveller. But I like certain cabins, so am willing to (possibly) pay a little more for them.

Yes, RCI seem to have stopped their early booking incentive for 2012. We always booked that way to get some discount and OBC. I always check throughtout the year and even close to crusing time what we have paid has always been the best price point.

We did deliberate waiting for next year until later, but we received vouchers from RCI as our Crown and Anchor level changed and that mitigated against no early discount being available, we also got OBC. Hopefully we made the right decision.

I agree with critterchick that if you book a fare that you think is fair and equitable then am always happy. If you have to fly with last minute cruise deals, you will likely have to pay a higher airfare, so it may be swings and roundabouts in the end.

What I would like to see is for those who have booked well in advance and are repeat cruisers that they upgrade these folks and sell the other cabins at discounted rates to the last minute shoppers... Just my thoughts..

After sailing Carnival several times on their Early Saver program (which I love, by the way), I watch prices like a hawk! The prices for our upcoming Med cruise had gone up after we booked and stayed that way until this week when they dropped $120 per person. I was able to call RCCL and have that discount applied.

Our final payment is due Aug 1. It will be interesting to watch the prices and see if they drop further. I know from reading that we will not be entitled to the lower price, but we may be able to get an upgrade, which would be agreeable to us.

Like others, when I book I am happy with the fare and consider it a great bonus when (and if) the prices drop.

I thought that those who booked early to cruise were guaranteed the lowest prices. I´ve never seen a guarantee of lowest price with RCI. Yes they honoured price drops if called, but never swa a spelled out best price guarantee with them.

These days with last minute discounts for new bookings only, and different category discounts and penalties for cancellations - it seems like early booking is a really bad idea.

Not in my eyes, I still book far out and am happy doing this.

Even sold out cruises seem to get availability around final payment date.

Plus, many cruise lines seem to offer a similar product.

Does anyone else see a trend where it is more advantageous to shop for a cruise after final payment when the last low discounts become available?

Not me, I think I can still get a good deal booking far out, having my pick of cabin, getting price drops til final payment. Sure I might miss out on a lower price for new bookings only, but that´s life, you can´t always win and it doesn´t bother me the least.

You may not get first pick of cabins, but it looks like you could save a bundle

AM I missing something? Why are cruise lines making it so much worse to book early?

NOt sure what you are missing, but in my book all is well and I don´t see anything worse in booking early.

Does anyone else feel that it is unfair to pay more for your cabin when you booked months in advance than the person that decided at the last minute?

Nope not at all.

To me it´s just the logical and best business concept to have people pay different prices for the same product based on the market.

Cruise lines are in the business to make profit and it really doesn´t make sense for them having to lower rates for everybody just because they need to make a sale for some leftover cabins. Sometimes you will get the better last minute deal and sometimes with booking early. Do whatever is best for you and the cruiseline will do whatever they can to maximize their profits while watching what the market bears. There´s no fair or unfair involved at all.

Archived