Tips for room service

Thats a great idea, I am looking for one in the UK, found 2 but need to know what size was the top of the table in the picture.

Assuming it is the table I linked to a little ways back...

Set up: (L x W x H) 32 x 32 x 28 inches

Folded: (Dia x L) 5.5 x 32 inches

Weight: 10 pounds

I start hoarding ones's and fives's a couple of months before the cruise or land vacation as it keeps me from having to stand in line at the bank. Keep them in a small ziploc baggie and place in a draw in the room. That way it is always handy for room service. Also comes in handy in the ports for taxis or in the shops for small purchases, also for the nice people who set up your chairs on the beach. This is just one of my many obsessive like behaviors that keep me busy before vacation. Have been doing it for twenty-five years and it's a great time saver!!

I came off a Med cruise a couple of weeks ago where we used room service a LOT (we traveled with our twin toddlers, so we had most of their meals delivered to the room instead of trying to deal with them in the dining room). Had I not been obsessively reading CC for six months before the cruise, I would have assumed that the room service delivery personnel were included in the tipping pool along with everyone else and I probably wouldn't have routinely tipped.

As it was, I tipped for every delivery ($1-3) and I can say that the people receiving the tips actually looked uncomfortable in many instances. I am fairly certain that tipping them is not the standard practice for most guests and so some of them were unsure how to react.

Given that the vast majority of cruisers out there DON'T read CC obsessively for six months before their cruise ;), I think I am onto something.

Note, none of this means *you* shouldn't tip if you want to. I'm sure the delivery person appreciates it, regardless of whether most people do it or not. I just think we might be overthinking this issue a teeny tiny bit.

I came off a Med cruise a couple of weeks ago where we used room service a LOT (we traveled with our twin toddlers, so we had most of their meals delivered to the room instead of trying to deal with them in the dining room). Had I not been obsessively reading CC for six months before the cruise, I would have assumed that the room service delivery personnel were included in the tipping pool along with everyone else and I probably wouldn't have routinely tipped.

As it was, I tipped for every delivery ($1-3) and I can say that the people receiving the tips actually looked uncomfortable in many instances. I am fairly certain that tipping them is not the standard practice for most guests and so some of them were unsure how to react.

Given that the vast majority of cruisers out there DON'T read CC obsessively for six months before their cruise ;), I think I am onto something.

Note, none of this means *you* shouldn't tip if you want to. I'm sure the delivery person appreciates it, regardless of whether most people do it or not. I just think we might be overthinking this issue a teeny tiny bit.

how odd, I found that they were well aware of tipping. I also noticed that when my "GRANDROMANCE" pkg was delivered (piece by piece.. so at least three tips.. ) the staff hung back for a sec or two, just in case I was going to tip.

The room service menu states "gratuity at your discretion" so although it isn't required, I really do think it is expected. Generally, when we are served food, we tip the server.

However, it certainly isn't mandatory and it seems like everyone has their own customs and opinions regarding tipping.

Archived