Rainbow Beach!!!

john1234

On our stop to St Croix, we decided to hit the beach. We were deciding between rainbow beach and Sand Castles, werent really up for the 30 min ride to the christiansted beach option. We decided on Rainbow, it was a short 3-5 min taxi ride and was free with our vouchers(normally 3 dollars each way) when we arrived there was nice beach bar connected to a moderate sized stretch of beach with Chairs and umbrellas, jet Skis,rafts,and snorkeling equipment. We were very pleased that were werent harrased to purchase anything and was greeted very sincerly by two nice gentelman(Brian and Scott). We Hung out for most of the day and the beach never got to crowded like some of the islands. All of the equipment seemed to be in good shape(especially the jet skis which were brand new!) I would def recommend this beach if your looking fo a rlaxing day. By the way the food at Rainbow was great!

Sound like it might even be close to Sand Castle.

When I took the shuttle to Sand Castle, the one outside the pier, there were also people on it going to Rainbow. We were dropped off first. So I'm guessing Rainbow must not have been that much further away.

We went to Rainbow too. loved the relaxing beach day. We picked this over Sand castle because of the kayaks and jet skis. I think Sand castle is to the left of the pier and rainbow is to the right. I think equally 1 mile from pier.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back today from Serenade of the Seas. When you walk down the pier Rainbow beach is on the left hand side of the pier & Sand Castle Beach is on the right hand side of the pier. The are both the same distance. Yo can walk it which we did otherwise either beach is a $6.00 per person round trip cost. The st Croix beaches are the clearest as far as the water of the 5 islands we just visited, you can see your toes and can even see the fish swimming in between your feet without goggles. There are chairs on the beach we sat in them & then someone told us they needed to be rented, at a cost of $6.00 per chair, since we were only going to be there for 2 hours, we just layed on our towels. St Croix would be the place for snorkeling, not really for shopping.

We just got back today from Serenade of the Seas. When you walk down the pier Rainbow beach is on the left hand side of the pier & Sand Castle Beach is on the right hand side of the pier. The are both the same distance. Yo can walk it which we did otherwise either beach is a $6.00 per person round trip cost. The st Croix beaches are the clearest as far as the water of the 5 islands we just visited, you can see your toes and can even see the fish swimming in between your feet without goggles. There are chairs on the beach we sat in them & then someone told us they needed to be rented, at a cost of $6.00 per chair, since we were only going to be there for 2 hours, we just layed on our towels. St Croix would be the place for snorkeling, not really for shopping.

So which beach did you snorkel at? Were you at Rainbow or Sand Castle?

We'll be there on Thanksgiving Day, do you think beach bars/restaurants will be open?

We snorkeled at Rainbow Beach. The beach had some pebbles, the sand not as soft as Antigua, but the water crystal clear. Im sure everything will be open when you travel Thanksgiving time, they depend on tourism for their livelihood, especially the taxis.

We snorkeled at Rainbow Beach. The beach had some pebbles, the sand not as soft as Antigua, but the water crystal clear. Im sure everything will be open when you travel Thanksgiving time, they depend on tourism for their livelihood, especially the taxis.

Thanks...........

So which beach did you snorkel at? Were you at Rainbow or Sand Castle?

We'll be there on Thanksgiving Day, do you think beach bars/restaurants will be open?

Last June, we spent the day at Sandcastle Beach. We got a $25 package from the hotel (2 lounge chairs, 1 SPF 50 umbrella, and 2 rum punches) and had a great, relaxing day. The hotel has a cafeteria and bar; since they are a hotel, I am fairly sure these facilities would be open on a holiday.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Though we are at Rainbow I gotta be honest enough to tell you that for GREAT snorkeling you should go to Cane Bay. They also have a great restaurant and bar. ("Eat" at cane bay and "Off the Wall". The beach is not quite as big or as nice for swimming and relaxing but the best snorkeling in St. Croix is at Cane Bay.

How far is that from the port?

Just got back from Rainbow on Monday, it was amazing. $20 for 2 chairs and an umbrella, $8 for a "Rum Bucket" and we had burgers which were very good. $50 for a half hour on a Jet Ski (which my DH loved), all in all it was my favorite "excursion" for the whole cruise, it was relaxing, beautiful and just a great way to bliss out. We hired a taxi at the pier, I think his name was Jacobsen? $3 PP each way and he even brought my DH back to the beach because we left our passports with the Jet Ski guy. My DH paid him for the trip, but he didn't ask for it, really out of his way nice!

th_P1010802.jpg

th_P1010801.jpg

th_P1010795.jpg

Hey fellow cruisers! We were on St. Croix 3 weeks ago...still sad thinking about not being there. It was our first time on this island. In the a.m. we joined another couple on an ATV adventure through "Gecko's"....let me tell ya.....it was a BLAST!!! So glad we were invited and tagalong on this excursion, big thanks to our tablemates!!

Anyway, we then saw Rainbow Beach and decided to spend the remainder of the day there...it was quiet and the water was awesome. Unfortunately, the experience we had with the chair/umbrella staff was not very pleasant. Let's just say, make sure you give them EXACT change when you rent chairs & umbrellas from them. They were nice people but definitely lack fair business practice. My DH made an effort in getting our change back, he was scouled by one of the staff. We commented on the situation with one of the partner of the shop but he chose to be defensive rather than try to resolve the predicament.

Truly, it was really never about the change that they owed us, it was more about the principle....the principle that were NOT being taught to their minor helper (the young lad was innocent, so we don't blame him of course).

Anyway, am not trying to put anyone out of business, just giving our fellow cruisers/tourists a heads-up.

Good luck and have tons of fun on this great island!! Wish we were still there!:)

Hey fellow cruisers! We were on St. Croix 3 weeks ago...still sad thinking about not being there. It was our first time on this island. In the a.m. we joined another couple on an ATV adventure through "Gecko's"....let me tell ya.....it was a BLAST!!! So glad we were invited and tagalong on this excursion, big thanks to our tablemates!!

Anyway, we then saw Rainbow Beach and decided to spend the remainder of the day there...it was quiet and the water was awesome. Unfortunately, the experience we had with the chair/umbrella staff was not very pleasant. Let's just say, make sure you give them EXACT change when you rent chairs & umbrellas from them. They were nice people but definitely lack fair business practice. My DH made an effort in getting our change back, he was scouled by one of the staff. We commented on the situation with one of the partner of the shop but he chose to be defensive rather than try to resolve the predicament.

Truly, it was really never about the change that they owed us, it was more about the principle....the principle that were NOT being taught to their minor helper (the young lad was innocent, so we don't blame him of course).

Anyway, am not trying to put anyone out of business, just giving our fellow cruisers/tourists a heads-up.

Good luck and have tons of fun on this great island!! Wish we were still there!:)

I have found that this sort of thing happens a lot in the Caribbean. I ALWAYS carry small bills so that I have exact change as this has happened to me a few times before. Sometimes the taxi driver/vendor will claim to not have change in US $. This, however, does not apply in St. Croix. Thanks for the "heads up" as we plan to go to Rainbow beach in February. We will be ready with exact change.

I have found that this sort of thing happens a lot in the Caribbean. I ALWAYS carry small bills so that I have exact change as this has happened to me a few times before. Sometimes the taxi driver/vendor will claim to not have change in US $. This, however, does not apply in St. Croix. Thanks for the "heads up" as we plan to go to Rainbow beach in February. We will be ready with exact change.

You are so right, always bring exact change when you're on shore. The funny thing was, the owner and his partner are Americans. We felt comfortable dealing with them, actually, we dealt with the young man (approx. 12yrs., sweet & polite blonde young lad). He told us he'd bring back our change...2-3 hrs later, no change. My DH told him use our change for a bottle of the local beer, that, we received, but it was our friends who did not get their money back. So my DH inquired about it to an adult staff, but with no avail. I guess it's best to be on guard with any type of people, American or what not, right? LOL...

Here's the kicker, we mentioned to the owner that a review of his shop will be posted on CC, all of the sudden....he got the young man to bring back our change, not the owner himself, but the young man. That tells us a lot about this person's character. We told the young man to take the money back as it wasn't about the money. We only regret that we didn't take the time to explain more to the young boy about honesty and integrity :o Like I said, not trying to damage anyone's business.

If anyone runs into the same situation anywhere, anytime, and an opportunity represents itself....I hope he/she takes the time to pay it forward and teach young people honesty & integrity. :)

Have a wonderful time on your visit in Feb., yay!!! :D:D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was just at Rainbow beach on Thursday, 2/09/12. We had a great time! Umbrellas were $10 and chairs $5. We had no problems with the chair people or getting correct change.

We were greeted warmly when we arrived through the bar. We originally got chairs close to the bar. However, when the live music started at about noon, it got a little loud for my tastes and we moved farther down the beach. I had the chair guy help me. He was very pleasant and accommodating about us moving. I gave him a tip for the trouble.

The water was warm, clear and blue. The sand was very nice. There were a few shells to be found. There were jet skis to rent. It never got too crowded.

I went to the bar to order a snack. The bartender gave me a complimentary shot. I ordered a painkiller and some onion rings. They were very tasty.

Overall, it was a very good beach day. Everyone that we encountered was friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend this beach.

Thanks for letting us know! We will be in St Croix in April. Do you know how much they were charging for the jet ski rental?

Sorry, I didn't ask. There were plenty of people using them, so it couldn't be too outrageous.

Any snorkeling there? If so, please grade it. poor, fair, good, etc. Thanks

Not really. I tried and didn't see anything. I walked up and down the beach and tried at different spots. It is really just a beach for swimming,sun, bar, music, and jet skiing.

Archived