Parks Canada Rock Glacier Hike / Kluane Advice

CecilCtyCruiser

Booked on Holland America and we have a full day in Whitehorse. We've been looking at excursions in Kluane Nat'l Park, and considering the Parks Canada Rock Glacier Hike. Can anyone out there tell me anything about this? Are there other excursions, either Kluane or Whitehorse, that would be a better use of our time (not too strenuous).

It is my understanding Kluane is a two hour drive from Whitehorse...true? How is the ride?

Your help is appreciated!!

The Rock Glacier is about 2 1/2 hours from Whitehorse. Be aware, though, that it is nothing like an ice glacier (more like a steep gravel pit). An ice glacier is basically a rockslide that has a high enough ice content that it moves downhill like an ice glacier - more interesting than impressive. Also be aware that this is the absolutely least impressive part of the park, though the view over Dezadeash Lake is beautiful. Far better would be a hike in the Sheep Mountain area of the park - I think that HAL offers an excursion, but if not renting a car may be an option for you. Far more impressive with no extra exertion and the Parks Canada wardens at Sheep Mountain can tell you everything that you get with HAL, for free.

Murray

Archived