Birth Certificates

tterryj50

Normally they take about 6 weeks and I believe they are still $97 and they are good for 10 years. They do expedited service this info comes from the state department website regarding expedited passports:

Cost, in addition to regular application fees, is $60 per application plus overnight delivery costs.

Two-way overnight delivery is strongly suggested.

If you mail in - clearly mark Expedited on the envelope.

Anyone may request expedited service for any type of application (e.g., first-time applications, renewals, amendments of existing passports, etc.)

Ordinarily,

if you paid additionally for

expedited service

and

two-way overnight delivery

Within about 2 weeks

First, I had to get a copy of my birth certificate. Most states use a 3rd party vendor, and for $45, I had my birth certificate 5 business days after I did the online request/faxed ID. So, say 2-3 weeks for that, just to be safe, and that's assuming you were born in a hospital, the hospital/vital records office didn't burn down, etc. Being born at home slows the process down, apparently.

Once you get the BC, then you have to get your passport pictures made. Local places here are the CVS pharmacy, camera stores, and places like the UPS store. That's going to cost you between 7-12 dollars. Call before you go, the first place I went, the camera was broke -- it wasn't me, I swear! They repeatedly tell you, "don't smile, don't show your teeth." I look like an ax murderer.

Then comes the real fun. You need to go out to the http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_832.html website, find, download, and fill out the DS-11 form and find the location of your local passport office. Don't assume the passport office is in the post office! In our county, it was in the Veteran's affair's building in the county seat, they only processed passports on certain days, and at certain times. Call before you spend gas, and make sure your driver's license hasn't expired.

This is a $97 dollar charge for a brand new passport (as opposed to a "refill"). In my case, the $30 execution fee had to be paid to the local authority in cash, they'd take a check for the rest. No plastic or debit cards! The good side was that they got it to me in 21 business days. In a crisis, you can take it to your senator and they will help expedite it, but that's usually for something like a medical emergency, death of a relative overseas, etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will stick with ID and birth certificate this time around. Im kinda cheap that way. If you take a birth certificate, do you have to take the original ashore with you. I read where several people make copies, but are they to leave on the boat? And what good would the copies do for them. Thanks

You do not have to take your birth certificate into port. Your seapass card and photo ID will get you back on the ship.

There has been a thread here regarding the necessity of Passports in the future. I guess by 2008 everyone will need a passport to re-enter the US from Canada and Mexico. So, if you like to cruise and want to continue, it would be a good idea to obtain one within the next couple of years, before the requirements take place and the rush is on.

Scroll down this page a ways and you will find the thread "Time to get a passport".

What if your married name is on your DL and of course not your Birth Certificate do you have to bring your marriage license?

I'm curious what others have to say about this as well, but here's what I've found. Check with your cruise line. For example, HAL doesn't state on their web site that this is a requirement (returning from Canada), and neither does the Customs and Border Protection web site, nor Canadian sites. But, I've seen other sites(TAs) that say you do need the license, so maybe this is specific to the line, even though it doesn't seem to be required for entry to or reentry from Canada.

What if your married name is on your DL and of course not your Birth Certificate do you have to bring your marriage license?

IMHO - YEP! If you don't, you may not be able to re-enter the US. Once again, you can't beat a passport, which will be required Jan. 1, 2008, if you want to enter the U.S., and that means coming home. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=145088&referrerid=111315

I'll be on the Monarch in 6 days.. I was adopted and my original birth certificate and last name on DL don't match either. ( can't find the re-issued B.C. and running out of time)I was very worried and searched the web. The cruise lines all say that having the right documents is our responsibility but many don't mention the last names not matching. When I called the cruise line RCCL and asked the lady if I should bring my adoption papers she said ,Yes, that it was my "bridging document" connecting my two last names. I think bringing the Marriage Lic. is a good idea.

Archived