Seeking hurricane season advice....

We are sailing to Bermuda in October which is hurricane season, I know....but can anyone tell me if they have had any experience in this?

Will they divert the ship?

Not sail?

If they don't take us to Bermuda, will they tKe us somewhere else and compensate us?

Does insurance help at all?

Has anyone gone through this?

We are sailing to Bermuda in October which is hurricane season, I know....but can anyone tell me if they have had any experience in this?

Will they divert the ship?

Not sail?

If they don't take us to Bermuda, will they tKe us somewhere else and compensate us?

Does insurance help at all?

Has anyone gone through this?

In most instances when there is a hurricane and you're going to Bermuda you go to Canada.

Bill

It all depends on the length of your cruise, availability of other ports, and predicted path of the storm.

Unless the ship is hitting your departure port, the ship will still sail.

If you are on a short cruise to Bermuda out of the Northeast (5 or 6 days), then your choices are limited due to the time it takes to get ports farther south. So typically they go to Canada or become a cruise to nowhere. Sometimes, if the storm cooperates, they can hold out at sea a day, and then come into port in Bermuda behind the storm, but this is the least common option.

If you are on a 7 night or longer cruise, then you might have the additional option of being able to make it to the Bahamas or Turks & Caicos. But even that depends on the weather and if there are any docking spots available in the ports.

As to compensation, typically no compensation except a refund of port taxes if you don't make port.

We did the Western Caribbean last October, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. There was a hurricane on course to our ports, so we got an announcement and letter that were were arriving in Jamaica 2 hours early and leaving 2 hours early, missing Cozumel and Grand Cayman and going to Key West instead. We were disappointed, but certainly not upset. We received this announcement I believe the night before we docked in Jamaica. By the time we got back on the ship, there was a letter in our cabin stating that the hurricane shifted and we were going to make all of our ports. We were very excited! And, they let us keep the 20% discount on a futer cruise that we were getting as a consolation for missing the other ports.

We're also sailing in October, and though I know that we can be diverted, I hadn't even thought about Canada as a substitute. I guess I should be prepared to totally repack at the last minute, although the last time did a Maritime sailing in late September it was 93 degrees in Maine, so I guess anything is possible.

Archived