big band cruise

nsshel

Thinking about the Oct. 22 transatlantic, a big band cruise. When do they play? Where? Seems that all of the lounges would be too small for dancing.

Would really appreciate hearing from someone that has done a big band cruise.

I don't know how this would be handled on a ship as large as the Westerdam. Howeve,r we did take a cruise on the old Westerdam which was a big band cruise. The Lido pool was covered over each night and used as a bandstand. Chairs were set up around the pool and on the open deck above. That is where the nightly concerts were held.

The concerts were quite spectular. They were also very loud. I would highly recommend this cruise for anyone who really enjoys big band music. However, if you are not an ardent fan, I would recommend you pass on this cruise. If you don't like the music you will feel overwhelmed.

Linda

Took a Big Band cruise on the Amsterdam from Copenhagen to NYC a few years ago and danced 'til my legs burned. Loved it.

I don't know the deck plan of the Westerdam, but the set-up should be similar to mine.

We had the Guy Lombardo Orchestra play an evening's entertainment, a few cocktail sets (IIRC, in the Ocean Bar), a tea dance in the main show lounge, plus by the pool for the bar-b-que.

On every sea day they played from 11:30 A.M.-1:30 P.M. (with one 15-minute break) by the Lido pool. There was plenty of room for dancing all around the pool area and plenty of dance hosts who never sat down.

For those who want a respite from Big Band the other venues had the usual selections.

The Westerdam is a sister ship to the Oosterdam. Last year I was on a big band cruise on the Oosterdam and it was fabulous! Although the band will play in the afternoons at the Lido Pool, the highlight is that they play every night in the Crows Nest. On these large ships the tables in the Crows Nest can all be moved back to form a huge dance floor. The band sets up on the starboard side and there is plenty of room for the dancers. We had the Sammy Kay Orchestra. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Archived