Tulum Ruin is OK for 8-year-old?

ohmycruise

I will be on Allure next month.

I 'd like do 'Tulum Ruins & Beach Break - CZH5' at Cozumel with my wife and 8-year-old daughter.

Is that ferry and bus ride too much for 8-year-old?

Did you see many children under 10?

Thank you for your advise.

If think this is a 'just depends' kind of answer. The ferry ride can be rough--it's one of the few times I've been seasick--and the bus ride long. It can also be very hot at the ruins.

Some kids tolerate this kind of thing better than others. Some would be interested in the ruins themselves, others not so much. There is a lot of space there to run around and work off energy, if it's not too hot. Very few kids really like following along after a guide listening to a lecture.

It sounds like you have time to go to the beach, which would help. Is it the very pretty (small) beach at Tulum? (I haven't swam there but it looks beautiful.

Personally, I wouldn't do this with an eight-year-old unless they are very able to withstand long rides and sightseeing--lots of kids aren't.

Actually, I wouldn't do it again myself from a Cozumel ported cruise ship, although the site is amazing.

Tulum is cool because it's right on the coast. But it's a haul from Cozumel. Even if you were on a land vacation in Cancun, it's still a decent bus ride down there. Have you been to other Mayan ruins on the Yucatan?

If you could get there via helicopter, that would be cool. :)

It is a long ride, and SO very hot! I cant imagine a child of 8 liking it that much. Probably seeing the iguanas playing on the stone walls would be fun, and then the beach area at the end.. but I had a hard time enjoying following along with the guide...my hubby did leave the group and went out on his own. :D Dot

Thank you very much all your input.

I will try something else.

Thank you,

Tulum is a good experience for kids. Don't pass it up. The ferry ride to the main island is 45 minutes and the bus ride is only 1 hour. :)

Tulum is a good experience for kids. Don't pass it up. The ferry ride to the main island is 45 minutes and the bus ride is only 1 hour. :)

Yes, I thought same but almost 2 hours of ferry and bus each way is too much for my daughter and wife.

Thank you for your input!

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to be about 100 degrees from now until into September. I don't think a young kid would like it, especially with all the travel from Cozumel. If you ever port into Calica or are in Playa del Carmen, you can get a taxi for a reasonable rate. That's what we did, be sure to go swimming at the beach there at Tulum, it is an amazing place!

Absolutely take your 8 year old. Ours went there the first time when they were that age and they were fascinated. Pick up every brochure you can find on it as it comes in handy for school projects and reports.

we went to tulum earlier this year and loved it. the swimmimg at the beach there was great, but i think i would have chose xcarat if i had an 8 year old with us. still a long ride, but i have a 7 year old in my family that would have been very bored, hot and would not have liked the long walk at tulum

I would not take an 8 year old. The drive is long,it is hot, and there is a lot of walking. There is a beach there and it was advertised. However, our guide requested that noone go swimming and/or use the beach because it would get his bus dirty. Also, there wasn't extra time for the beach. If you want a beach excursion you should book something else. Our kids were teens when we took them. Even then, years later, my youngest son recently expressed he doesn't want to go there again and what he remembers is the worst boat ride he has ever went on. Personally, I would only take teens on up--and brief them on what they will be seeing.

Archived