Evening sights in Istanbul

My husband and I will be in Istanbul overnight in mid-September. This will be a Sunday.

We are considering going out in the late afternoon and staying out til after dark to see some of the historic buildings lit up. Has anyone done a tour like this in Istanbul? We have done it as an organized tour in Rome with a CC group but I have not seen it listed on travel sites for Istanbul.

We want to see the Aqueduct, the Old City Walls, and Tekfur Saray, as well as Hagia Sophia and the Bue Mosque lit up at night.

Do you have suggestions? Should we do this as a taxi tour or look for a guide and a car? A walking tour is not an option.

I just posted here about our experience in Istanbul. I did a lot of research and found other shows that would have been better, but was reluctant to go on our own. I would definitely do that next time.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=304552&page=24

Thanks Maryann! Did you do this with a tour company? I might be able to get a few more people to join us.

Most of the 'dinner and show' programs have been on the hokey side but still sometimes fun. Too bad you had one whiner ruin the evening ride.

No I had read about Sultanas here and searched for their website and contacted them by email.

The really fun part for us was the competition to choose an honorary sultan for the evening. Of course it was rigged, and my husband won(since I had arranged the busload). We have some wonderful photos of him all done up in his robes and gold turban being waited on by his harem.

That's pretty funny! I can just see my DH with a harem!:eek:

I think we would enjoy a simple dinner from one of the rooftop restaraunts and be able to people watch. We may end up hiring a taxi to take us to specific sights as the sun goes down.

That's pretty funny! I can just see my DH with a harem!:eek:

I think we would enjoy a simple dinner from one of the rooftop restaraunts and be able to people watch. We may end up hiring a taxi to take us to specific sights as the sun goes down.

If you plan to eat in Sultanahmet, you will already be where most of the sites are (you can see Haghia Sophia and the Blue Mosque from most any rooftop restaurant in that area). It's also easy to walk around the area for a bit either before or after dining. Then you can get a taxi or (easier and less expensive) take the tram back to the ship.

Archived