Behind the Fun tour $$ on Destiny?

RBCL

I would say it was well worth the money to see how things are done. We did this on the Splendor in 2010 and are actually looking forward to doing this on the Spirit in October when we go. If anything you should do this at least one time.

We did this tour on the Destiny in December, and it was fabulous! There is something for everyone - I admit I was bored to tears in the engineering part, but engrossed in the galley. And the view when we walked onto the bridge took my breath away! Well worth the $$$

I'm not sure about how long it is - I want to say about 3 hours?

It clocked in right around 3.5 hours when we did this on the Splendor. We worked our way around the bow of the ship to the bottom and then from there worked our way toward the stern of the ship and up. Then to the Bridge and back to the steakhouse where they handed us some goodies. When we got back to the room after dinner there was a great desert snack plate from the Chef, thanking us for visiting the Galley area during our tour. We also have 2 pictures, one outside at the bow of the ship and the other in the Bridge with the captain.

$95 on every ship in the fleet, except the Fantasy class, where it is $55.

Bill

Wow, the price has gone up since I did it then. When I booked the tour on the Destiny it was only $55/person. I still think it would have been a deal at $95 though. Go and have fun.

Do you know when the tour is on the Grand Turk/HMC/Nassau itinerary? I've read it's usually on the last sea day, but the only sea day on this trip is the first day. Is it on the Nassau day? If so, how much does it cut into port time?

I'd like this info as well. TIA!

I don't know that the $95 price quoted is correct. I believe it actually depends on the length of the cruise and not the ship.

I was on Destiny a year ago and paid $55. I still think it would be worth it at $95. It was definitely cool, but I don't think I would repeat it because I don't see how it could be different unless it was a unique ship like Oasis.

Hello,

Can you book this tour in advance or only when you are on the ship? Thanks for the info!

Only on board. I followed the advice of others on CC and headed straight to the shore excursions desk when I boarded because they only do the tour 1 time during the cruise and it apparently fills quickly.

For the $55 or $95 you will get a baseball cap, a lanyard, some treats sent to your cabin, and a group picture with the captain on the bridge.

Do keep in mind that there are a lot of stairs involved - very steep ones in the crew areas, so be prepared for 3 hours of walking back and forth on the ship bottom to top.

Do you know when the tour is on the Grand Turk/HMC/Nassau itinerary? I've read it's usually on the last sea day, but the only sea day on this trip is the first day. Is it on the Nassau day? If so, how much does it cut into port time?

Anyone? :o

• 1 month later...

For our cruise last week on the Miracle, the tour was on the last sea day. There were two tour groups, one started at 9 and the other at 9:30. For ours, they said each group would have no more than 16 people. As others mentioned the tour took 3 1/2 hours. On ours, we visited:

Stage and back stage

Main Galley and the Steak house galley

Engine Control Room

Bridge

Photo Lab

Crew Internet room

Crew Bar

Laundry rooms (they have an amazing machine that drys and presses sheets)

Waste sorting/processing room

Medical area (and they pointed out the morgue but we did not go in)

Several fridge/freezer storage areas

Prep rooms

Crew Training room

Two of the crew dining areas

That's all I can remember

For pictures, we got one with our family and the Captain, one with the whole group with the Captain and one with the Head Chef in the Galley (sp).

For treats, we received a hat, lanyard, backpack, carved soap, and the warm chocolate melting cake recipe.

I would highly recommend the tour. I enjoy seeing how things run and the people who you meet on the tour who do not normally get to meet guests love to greet you and answer some questions. My DD (13) said she enjoyed all of it except the engine control room (after 5 minutes she was ready to move on) and the smell of the garbage.

You have to wear closed toe shoes and not skirts or skorts. No cameras or cell phones are allowed.

Hope that helps.

Mary

Did the tour on the Destiny last week. It was $55 and very enjoyable. There were only 10 that signed up to do it. It was just as Plut0 described it, except we didn't get as many goodies, LOL. (No backpack or carved soap.)

Since we were re-routed, our last day ended up being a sea day instead of Nassau, so that worked out perfectly. We didn't finish with the tour until almost noon.

I also highly recommend it!

Archived