Istanbul airport to cruise terminal

Racdan

Thank you for all your advice, the ship does not leave Istanbul until the next day and after all your warnings we are going to book a private transfer, it seems like the sensible option. Many thanks to evryone for your tips.

Regards Racdan

This has been interesting - we are arriving in Istanbul on the 19th September for a cruise on Marina, so thank you for raising this OP.

We have now decided to book a private transfer from Ataturk airport - but can anybody add the precise name of the cruise terminal Marina will use? Sounds much less hassle!

We have now decided to book a private transfer from Ataturk airport - but can anybody add the precise name of the cruise terminal Marina will use? Sounds much less hassle!

The terminals are right next to each other, both right in the center of town, and it depends on which one the port assigns to Marina.

Hi Racdan

we just booking this cruise but leaving from gatwick with easyjet :( we will get over it!! the BA flights are £220 each more!!! Thats a lot of g & t 's !

Our agent has booked a private transfer but says we would save at least £20 each if we got a taxi. However Easyjet fly into different airport, we are probably landing somewhere in Croatia ! But you could give him a call and see if he could book you a private transfer and what the cost would be.

Evelyn and Bas

Brighton

Sussex

We used a shuttle you can find in the arrival hall after customs. "DRC TURIZM"

You pay at their office with an official receipt and they guide you to their car/shuttle.

At that time the rate was TKL 50 (two years agoo 2009) to the hotel in Sultanamed (Old City.)

We went only 4 days later with a taxi to the Nautica.

As the port is at the other side of the bridge the above mentionned rate will be more expensive of course

Check with www.backpackerstravel.net (Istanbul Airport Transfer) for their rate to the port.

Last May, we've been very happy with their service to and from Atatürk Airport to our hotel in Sultanahmet and from the hotel to the port. Their drivers were friendly and prompt; clean & comfortable Mercedes vans with a/c. Excellent price.

For sightseeing we used public transport & private guide with van.

Istanbul is awesome. Enjoy your visit.

Check with www.backpackerstravel.net (Istanbul Airport Transfer) for their rate to the port.

Last May, we've been very happy with their service to and from Atatürk Airport to our hotel in Sultanahmet and from the hotel to the port. Their drivers were friendly and prompt; clean & comfortable Mercedes vans with a/c. Excellent price.

For sightseeing we used public transport & private guide with van.

Istanbul is awesome. Enjoy your visit.

Hopefully they are better from the airport than to the airport from the ship. We had a reservation with them to take us from the port to the airport and they never showed. After waiting almost an hour we had to deal with the taxi drivers who were firm in their prices and we had only kept enough euros to pay the backpacker group not the outrageous taxi driver. We were also flying Delta who said we needed to be at the airport 3 hours before our flight so needless to say I was a wreck. When I contacted them after I got home they said their driver had traffic. You will see istnbul is nothing but traffic. Good luck.

I'm just saying...dealing with Istanbul taxi drivers is a miserable, disgusting experience - and that's just the view of Turks who live there!

If you disembark at the port, you are at the mercy of a rapacious gang that controls the taxi concession just outside the port gates. If able, ignore them (you will not get anywhere) and roll your luggage for a block or two, hail a cab to the airport but do confirm the set price before getting in.

If will not or can not leave the area, then you are at the mercy of these thugs. Rest assured, the port authorities do nothing and cruise lines seem to have zero interest in curtailing this rapacious behavior.

Perhaps there will be a short city tour with airport drop off offered on your cruise?

In May 2011, I had a few hours free in Istanbul and decided to visit the new modern art museum, which is right next to the cruise port. Leaving my hotel, I got into a taxi, assuming (always the wrong thing to do!) that, given my destination, the driver would know where to go. He did not have any idea of where the museum was; however, having driven past it, my husband was able to provide directions. The driver was grateful and our trip was quick. Hailing a taxi on the way back to our hotel was equally uneventful.

I do recommend visiting the museum and having lunch there (fabulous) be on the itinerary of any traveler who has the time and interest. It was great!

It is about 15 km to Karakoy port. My husband and I are also taking this cruise. We arrive at IST at 4:55 p.m. from Frankfurt. From my research, I found a taxi service that is reasonable and can be ordered in advance. I figure if I pay with Amex, if it doesn't come through, I can dispute the charge. My understanding is that the taxi drivers in Istanbul pull a lot of scams, so one must be very careful.

Archived