Cruise line advice--and Princess hesitation

windycity11

The day in Glacier Bay made the cruise for me. I think (not sure though) that Princess and Holland America are the only two cruise lines that are allowed to go into Glacier Bay.

Whatever you decide, Alaska is just amazing and you can’t go wrong just going there!

Actually the NCL Pearl sails into Glacier Bay on a r/t out of Seattle. The Pearl is a lovely ship and the food was good, not great, better than that in Le Bistro and Cagney's. We heard good things about Teppanaki as well. All specialty dining, but very good. The MDRs are good, not great, as I said.

We've done both Princess and Celebrity, and just did Alaska on Island Princess. Alaska was a very different experience than our previous Caribbean/Panama Canal cruises, and for that reason I'd still probably choose Princess, for itinerary and price. We thought the food on Island was not up to expectations, based on our past experience, but was still perfectly adequate. Many people did not eat on the ship when it was docked until 8 or 9pm, and after a completely packed shore day it seemed that many people also chose buffet, pizza or room service rather than the main DR and maybe that has something to do with it. But the northbound inside passage itinerary was a knock out, the scenery was drop-dead gorgeous and the price was very reasonable compared to other lines. We were completely satisfied with the cruise overall, regardless of the food quality.

Everyone's experience is different. We really like Princess and Celebrity. We will probably never go on HAL again. Granted, the buffet on Princess can be repetitive after a couple of days. Our Anytime Dining experience was wonderful. We were a party of 7 and only had to wait a while one night to be seated. We do not consider the more elite lines at this time. Alaska is the destination, not the ship, however, we really enjoyed the ship too. :)

Excellent Advice. In fact, after reading the stories about missing the ship, we have minimally flown out 2 days early. This year we are flying out three days early.

And consider flying out a day after you arrive, or at least on a late flight. The Freedom of the Seas arrived in Port Canaveral this past Sunday at nearly noon instead of 6 AM - it caused a lot of missed flights!

We went on the Celebrity Century last month and were very pleased with the food - definitely a notch up from RCCL or Carnival. However, the ship wasn't quite as exciting activity-wise. We prefer the entertainment and activities of RCI or Carnival.

I'm not sure when you're planning on traveling. If it's this year, think about whether smoke is a factor. Celebrity has more restrictive smoking policies than the other lines, with Carnival/Princess among the most lenient until this December. We're non-smokers who very much appreciated Celebrity's restrictive policies.

And consider flying out a day after you arrive, or at least on a late flight. The Freedom of the Seas arrived in Port Canaveral this past Sunday at nearly noon instead of 6 AM - it caused a lot of missed flights!

I'm not sure when you're planning on traveling. If it's this year, think about whether smoke is a factor. Celebrity has more restrictive smoking policies than the other lines, with Carnival/Princess among the most lenient until this December. We're non-smokers who very much appreciated Celebrity's restrictive policies.

Hadn't thought about flying out a day after or a late flight. I guess, for me the main thing is to not miss the cruise/tour. If I have problems going home, I can deal, but at least I got my vacation in. :D I was just so excited to get a flight that was not a red-eye!!!! If we were to miss my flight home, I would definitely be able to handle it better than if I missed my cruise. Something to think about though for the future. Thanks for pointing it out.

We are going on HAL to Alaska this year. Unfortunately, Celebrity did not have the itinerary I was looking for, or we definitely would have gone with them. Smoke is a trigger for my asthma, so I definitely would prefer a cruiseline with a stricter smoking policy. We are looking at Celebrity for Australia strictly because of their smoking policy. We have been on one HAL and one NCL. Of the two HAL was our favorite. However, we like the laid back atmosphere, so for us it is a good fit. It is nice to have so many choices.

After January 15, 2012 Princess will have a smoking policy that is very similar to that on Celebrity's.:):)

Having done Alaska on both Celebrity and Princess...I am inclined to say there is very little, if any, difference in the quality of food between the two lines....each have +/-'s. I would say that Celebrity has better service and with that comes a bit more formality. But in balance there is not much to choose between the two. Look at the itinerary and price and make your choice on that.

Thank you all for your responses and to clarify a little.

I am not picking on food alone and I do not expect gourmet mass produced food--just something decent. Cruises always mass produced food, however, the quality is lacking to a point of actually being unenjoyable. I guess I am just unhappy with the cruise lines cutting back--I'd rather pay a little more to get something better (lately the pay-per person restaurants are no better.)

Also, as far as itinerary--I want a round-trip 7-10 days MAX. I don't havea any specific wildlife requests--it would be great to see whales, but not something I'll plan the cruise around.

I guess my main question is: is there much difference in the Alaskan cruises? I gather that Princess, Celebrity, and RCCL are all about the same and Oceana is the exception. Does anyone know about NCL? I have never sailed with them and would consider them.

Thank you all again--all the info is helpful--even though I seem too "food particular" to some.

I am also a non-smoker and would love a virtually smoke free trip. We plan on sailing Summer of 2012

Anyway we are going with our 15, 18 and 21 year olds and grandparents. Since I always have done Caribbean cruises I am uninitiated to the Alaskan. Any comments or advice for Cruise line?

All help would be great--

Best time to go?

Best itinerary for 7-8 days max

Best cruise line?

Best excusions?

Thanks all!

Although I think the food is comparable, you may want to consider Holland America Line to Alaska. We went with 4 generations a few yrs back and all had a wonderful time. A lot of articles say HAL & Princess do Alaska best.

We did a HAL itinerary once that included both Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm (rare but wonderful) and another time our itinerary included gorgeous Sitka (not many cruise lines go there). I like going in June or July when it is warmest and most daylight hours. I'd never go at the beginning or end of the season unless it was the only time I could go (that's just me, others will disagree).

Pick one with a glacier (Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier). Sailing out of Vancouver is more scenic than Seattle.

I agree with others who say focus should be less on food:p--I'd rather eat less fancy and see Alaska than have awesome food and sail in the Caribbean, but that's just me:).

Good luck with your decision!

... I guess I am just unhappy with the cruise lines cutting back--I'd rather pay a little more to get something better....

I guess my main question is: is there much difference in the Alaskan cruises? I gather that Princess, Celebrity, and RCCL are all about the same and Oceana is the exception.

If you are happy to pay a little more and get a little more, look no further than Oceania. A definite step-up from the mainstream cruise lines, it offers outstanding cuisine, superb service and excellent enrichment lecturers. All on a 700-pax ship with no line-ups for anything! 2011 is their 1st year in Alaska, but word on the vine is that they may not return in 2012.

You should also take a hard look at HAL. They have deep roots in sailing Alaska and premium access to many scenic viewing areas. Of particular note is their 14-day voyage RT Seattle which goes to some less visited ports, as well as to the usual suspects. HAL is generally recognized as being at or near the top of mainstream cruising. Good luck with your decision!

If you are happy to pay a little more and get a little more, look no further than Oceania. A definite step-up from the mainstream cruise lines, it offers outstanding cuisine, superb service and excellent enrichment lecturers. All on a 700-pax ship with no line-ups for anything! 2011 is their 1st year in Alaska, but word on the vine is that they may not return in 2012.!

I have been on both HAL and Oceania (just 2 weeks ago) and if food is of enough importance to pay (possibly) a bit extra, go on Oceania. Please, this is just my opinion, but I thought the food on HAL was, to say the very least, not good. The food on Oceania was quite good in all venues. Oceania also has great itineraries. But as MightyQuinn says, do it now.

Archived